Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Continuously reboots after MS updates.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Ripcord52

Ripcord52

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

System is an old HP tower with XP sp3.
MS updates have been kept current until...

On July 10, 2013 I attempted to install the MS updates (patch tuesday) for the 6 'critical' patches offered through the Windows Security panel.
The patches appeared to download okay but did require a reboot to finish.
Upon rebooting, the PC would step through the POST screen okay, go blank and, instead of the Windows screen I expected (my desktop), the system would shut down and reboot again.
If I allow it to, this process repeats for over an hour, taking about 2 minutes for each cycle.

Initially I tried to boot into safe mode and later into just about every other mode offered but each resulted in this repeated rebooting.

I can get into the Recovery Consol (Thankfully I installed that a while back!)
While that is coming up, it does offer me to log into the following:

1. D:\MiniNT
2. D:\I386
3. C:\Windows
4. J:\MiniNT
5. J:\I386
6. E:\Windows

This is a hand-me-down PC, so no OS CD is available. There is a second HDD installed from another PC I had (OEM) that bit the dust (lightening strikes do that) and again, no OS CD available for that one either.

I have tried FIXMBR, but the boot kept repeating.
I tried REN Kernel32.dll to kernel32.old (in the system32 folder) and Exanding kernel32.dll from the D:\I386 as a replacement. That didn't work either, so I put the old Kernel32 back in place (rename again).

After this problem began, I learned that MS suggests installing only 1 patch at a time, due to this very problem. A little late to learn that, after I allow all 6 to install at once!

Suggestions on how I might proceed would be greatly appreciated! Have I run into a 'lost cause' and need to start transfering HD's to another tower or is there some hope?

Regards,
Raymond

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

They don't install all at once. They install one by one.

#3 Ripcord52

Ripcord52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

.X., that may be so, it would certainly appear that way based on my observations over the years. There have been times when I've had to reboot a couple times to get everything updated, although I cannot say for certain that was for just the MS updates, it has been too long ago.

Still, I have this problem and am looking for help.

One clue I have is that selecting Safe Mode or another option does not happen, the PC simply reboots again. Perhaps this suggests an area to look into?

Now combine that with the fact that I can select between standard booting (Windows) or the Recovery Console. Selecting Windows leads to a reboot but I can get to the Recovery Console.

With the Recovery Console available, I should be able to do things but I don't know what.

Does this combination of events suggest a possible solution or area to investigate, to any one?

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Right before the post screen ends, start tapping the F8 key. It should take you to the advanced boot menu. Select disable restart on system failure and see if it blue screens.

If it does, note down what it says and include it in your next reply.

#5 Ripcord52

Ripcord52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

OKay, did that and got this message:

C000021a - Session manager initialization system preocess terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC000026A.

Looking up that last code reveals "{License Violation} The system has detected tampering with your registered product type. This is a violation of your software license. Tampering with product type is not permitted."

That makes no sense, as this is an OEM system that has not been tampered with in that sort of way. Granted, there have been many times over the years that I've edited the registry for various little tweaks or as a method of removing malware or "left overs" from uninstallations. Mmmm..., is it possible that the second HD, which came from another PC and does have a full OS on it (also XP), could be the true culprit here?

Another thought, possibly some malware has gotten in and changed things in some manner to gain a degree of control over the PC?

I should have mentioned, I run AVG Free on it, along with ABP, NoScript and although JAVA is installed is is disabled for most functions.

Edited by Ripcord52, 12 July 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

I don't know how to fix that error. Maybe someone else here does. I also don't know about the second hard drive. I suspect the only solution is to try a repair install or preferebly, format and do a clean install.

BUT

You can Google those numbers and read through the countless pages to see if there is a solution or wait for someone else to respond here.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

it possible that the second HD, which came from another PC and does have a full OS on it (also XP), could be the true culprit here?

Are you using the secondary HDD as the boot device ?

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 12 July 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#8 Ripcord52

Ripcord52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hello, Anshad.  No, the second HDD is from my last PC, which died, and I do not boot to it. The HDD was still good though and had a lot of important data on it. So I popped it into another tower in order to access the data. That has been the situation for over 2 years now. It wasn't until the lastest Patch Tuesday that things went wrong for me.

Now things are getting a bit more interesting. This morning I removed the second drive, in case it was in some way the culprit here. Rebooting ended with the system attempting to locate any IDE drives, with no success.

Yes, I double checked for 'Master' drive settings and the like, all good. I even tried the second drive as a master, but in either case the results were the same...attempting to locate any IDE drives, with no success.

Only when both drives are in place are they both 'seen' by the system, although it won't boot up properly. I now suspect the host drive is dying or has a corrupted boot sector or....something. I don't really know.

I ran CHKDSK on the host HDD but it reported a healthy status.

Running CHKDSK on the second HDD reported "one or more errors", I now have it attempting a repair. If some major change takes place after that, I'll report on it.

Another interesting facet occured after trying the HDD's by themselves. After putting both back into the tower as they were, I get a different MAP.

The original can be seen in my original post, but now it is in a different order, as follows:

1. J:\MiniNT

2. J:\I386

3. E:\Windows

4. D:\MiniNT

5. D:\I386

6. C:\Windows

I assume the difference in the order is simply a reflection of how the system MAPped things this time as opposed to the original mapping.

#9 Ripcord52

Ripcord52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Update: Discovered I had failed to reset the jumper pin on the master drive, when removing the second drive. Thought I had but apparently I put it back in the same place. Grrr...

Now, only the original (OEM) HDD is in place, it is 'seen' by the system but still fails to boot properly. Same errors as before:

C000021a - Session manager initialization system preocess terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC000026A.

Thoughts, anybody?

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hi

Best way to resolve this issue is to do a repair install but without the install CD, we can't do that.

Following Microsoft article discusses several ways to repair this issue. May worth a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

#11 Ripcord52

Ripcord52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Alas, at this point I tend to agree with you. No CD = no help.

The MS article you linked to is odd, in the fact that to perform the Dr. Watson routine you need to be able to do certain things that are not allowed under the circumstances, such as getting to a comman prompt.

The only one I can access is while in the Recovery mode and the mode greatly restricts what you can do.

Still, I'll look over the article in more detail and see if anything will work.

I know the "Last Good Configuration" choice does not. Several times I know this already.

(Later)

Okay, just tried the Dr. Watson routine and, as expected while in Recovery mode, the OS will not recognize those commands, so I cannot enlist the aid of Dr. Watson to isolate the problem.

(I'll bet he got his degree in the mail...)

Well, let's see what else I can figure out to try.

#12 Ripcord52

Ripcord52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

By golly, I GOT it! (Now if I could only slow my heart down a bit...)

Given that the trouble started with the MS updates, I looked for a way to remove them.

At the Recovery Console prompt, in the Windows directory, I DIR for a listing and noted all the $NTuninstall....$ directories with a date corresponding to the start of my problems.

One by one I CHDIR into each. Then CHDIR again into the "spuinst" directory of each.

Once there, I issued a "BATCH spuninst.txt" command.

As each finished (quickly), I went back to the Windows directory and then drilled down into the next $NTuninstall...$ directory and repeated the process.

At the moment my PC has it's desktop showing again. It is also asking me to install a couple of MS updates, which I think I'll pass on for the moment until I study things a bit further.

Hopefully this method will help others. If anyone has questions about what I did, what started it or the results, just ask.

#13 Ripcord52

Ripcord52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

I type to you now, from my recovered PC, with more, interesting developments.
At the end of the first reboot (once it was working again) MS Updates offered to install 2 of the updates I had uninstalled, as mentioned earlier.
I set those to "Forget about it!" and moved onward. I then looked at the Add/Remove Programs panel, only to find that 4 of the updates that I had uninstalled (or so I thought) were still listed as installed.

I then mucked about checking on my programs and data files and all seemed okay, so I bit the bullet and did a reboot, mostly to insure myself that my fix had really worked.
Lo and behold, yet another update was offered! Again, I chose to ignore it, at least for now.
Then came the task of moving the PC from the work bench back to my den, including hooking up the 'net connection.
Boot up and now a brand new update is offered (MS Malicious Software Removal Tool), since the PC now has access to the 'net, and again I declined.

Here's an odd thing though, one of the updates it wants to install is still listed as ALREADY installed! Specifically, KB 2845187.

I think I'm going to need more time to sort out this mess and it will be a long time before I trust these updates again, if ever.

To be clear, I currently show 4 of the updates showing in the Add/Remove panel:
KB 2845187 (Which still wants to be installed.)
KB 2834886
KB 2850851
KB 2834904

That, after supposedly uninstalling them as per a previous post. There were 6 MS updates that I originally had tried to install and thought I had uninstalled all 6.
And people think the world is strange. They never looked inside a MS set up before!

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

Hi

Glad to hear that you are able to boot the system in to normal mode. My first suggestion at this point is to immediately create a backup image of your system using one of the good free imaging utilities. This will allow to restore the PC in case of a future case.

I recommend either one of this :

Paragon backup free -  http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

Macrium reflect free      - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

A Linux based rescue media is available with this program which can be used for recovery in case of boot failure. After creating the image you can try to fix the updates without worrying. 

I wonder what was the content of that spuninst.txt files.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 July 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#15 Ripcord52

Ripcord52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

Thank you, Anshad, I'm downloading the Paragon program now, along with the manual. I'll take a close look at it but it sounds like just what I need. Now I only need to decide which, of several drives available, I'll back up to. They each have data on them now, so I reckon it is time for me to do some serious house cleaning. Four internal HDD's, one external and several 'floaters' should keep me busy for a while.

The spuninst.txt files vary a bit, depending on which update they belong to. Of the few I've looked at though, the majority of them consist primarily of COPY commands, from the update file to various folders in the Windows system, such as the system32, driver cache or subfolders. Some also include DELete commands. I'm sure others contain even more commands, all run as a batch routine.

You or others can view them on your own PC's (assuming your running a Windows OS). You'll have to allow "View hidden and system folders.", using whatever technique is called for, for your particular version of Windows. Once that is done, open Explorer and go to C:\Windows. There you should see a listing of update folders, each starting with a file name of

$NtUninstallKB*****$

Where " * " will be the number unique to that update, such as KB2850851

Opening that folder will reveal the "spuninst" folder, which appears in each update folder (that I've seen thus far.) There will also be a number of other files, the number of which vary greatly.

Opening the "spuninst" folder shows you about 4 or 5 files, one of which should be the "spuninst.txt" file, which can be viewed with notepad or the "type" command from a 'DOS' window.

Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner, I've been busy catching up on things now that the PC is 'up' again.

Good grief, this means I have to re-organize stuff from 1994 onward!

Who needs sleep?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users