Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop caught in rain a minute - now some keys and left mouse button not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NYDingbat

NYDingbat

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop, running Windows 7.

My laptop was caught out in a sudden unexpected deluge for maybe a minute a couple days ago.  It was still on and working when I grabbed it and brought it inside.  I dried it off, blow dried it for a bit and thought everything was hunky dory.  I rebooted it and then the troubles began - so I consulted Dell's online manual and took it apart per their instructions and let it dry.  I put it back together and still have the same issues with the some keys on the keyboard and left mouse button - not external, but part of the touch pad.  I feel bad as your colleagues, nasdaq and JSgtRvr were just helping me get rid of some ransomware - hated to waste their time.

Is it finished?  Shall I call it a day and pony up the cash for a replacement keyboard and palm rest assembly or is a repair possible?

Thanks much for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

I've fixed laptops that had soup, coffee, hot chocolate, etc...spilled on/into them.

As your laptop just got water on it it should be fine...eventually....after it dries 100%. Try putting it in a warm place, open so condensation doesn't occur, and leave it there for a week. I've had one that came back after a month of waiting.

I've even taken out the MB and washed it in the sink with mild dish soap due to chicken soup being left on it with the battery still connected causing major corrosion. Other than failing to charge a battery it worked great for another 5 years. (Would still run from battery...just wouldn't charge.)

So if you can wait on it a while and nothing has shorted or been fried trying to dry it off you should be okay...be patient.

L8r

#3 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Oh wow!  That's good news!

Sorry, I just want to clarify - by "open" do you mean just with the screen in the up position or open how I had it with the guts and whatnot out of it?  With my luck I made things worse opening it up.  *sigh*

EDIT:  Getting help in two forums!  Your colleague, JSntgRvr, who stepped in to help address my sudden boot failings following this issue advised that I remove the keyboard and blow dry the whole machine again. 

I will post in a few days to update you on status.  Of course, I will continue to check back to see if you've got any other instructions for me.

Thanks again for your time and expertise!

Edited by NYDingbat, 12 July 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

I just reassembled everything on my laptop, closed the lid, and left it in the bay window so the sun could warm it up. Tested once a week later and nothing so left it for a few more weeks and then ot worked fine frm that point on.

By open I was just thinking the lid would be enough...but if you want to blow-dry the keyboard again up to you. Some laptop keyboards are pretty cheap and the black contact pads might give you an issue later. (Some keys might fail...but I hope not.)

I'd say you have a very good chance that this will come back to life since it's just water.

Best of luck to you.

Zen

#5 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thank you!   Still isn't working. - though I haven't tried putting it in a window - but I will if I find a good spot where it won't get knocked down or being in anybody's way.  I don't know, I think I really screwed it up with the initial blow dry.  I definitely overreacted I guess, thinking water on laptop = death.  I had it on low and had pried it open only a bit and didn't dry it too long, but I think I fouled it up pretty good.  The software is messed up too I believe.  I can boot in safe mode and run the launch recovery tool when I get to it, but I get a message that the machine couldn't be repaired automatically.  I'm sure the wizards in the virus forum can help me with that, though - if I ever get the hardware straightened out.

So here's my question for your expert answer - I guess my next step is replacing the keyboard and the palm rest touch pad/mouse assembly.  Anything else I should be worried about?  That's probably hard to answer without seeing it - just wanted to have an idea what to ask about if I have to take it in to get repaired.

Thanks so much!

#6 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Forget about it for a week or two then test. Until it's 100% dry your only going to make things worse. If you need a PC and don't have access to another at work, family, or friends you can always go to a library and use one.

You can remove the HDD, unless it was submerged in water, and try fixing it in another computer while you wait. You can put it in a USB enclosure and try to scan it for repairs. But don't try to boot from it or do any recovery until it's back in your system as Windows will see it's not the same and make things worse.

Best of luck, hope to hear good news in a week or two.

Zen

#7 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Okey doke - I'll leave it alone a little longer.  I'm not screwin' with the hard drive or other innards- I don't want to mess anything else up.  I have it in a window as we speak.  We shall see...

#8 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

Week one down, one more to go. I'm wishing you the best of luck on this.

#9 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thank you so much!  But it doesn't look good.   I had this thing on a window sill in the sun for at least 10 days and there has been no improvement.  I just tried to boot it up and got the screen offering to launch recovery repair, so I chose that - the screen was been navy blue for about a half an hour.  Just for giggles I rebooted and chose to start Windows normally, thinking I could maybe get something accomplished in safe mode.  Welp, it doesn't want to get further than the starting Windows screen with the Windows logo.  I think I'll go bother your colleagues in the virus removal forum to get working on this.  I'm hoping it's fixable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users