Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning Hard drive- to a used hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mefrank

mefrank

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

i have a desktop that the hard drive is dying

i downloaded hard disk Setinal and it says it has 1 day to live

my question is that i will like to clone it to my old laptop hard drive that is connected to the desk top now as a slave drive

do you think it is  worth it to clone the desktop hd to this laptop HD (80GB) now

or just buy a new hard drive

and what is the process to clean/erase the laptop hard drive completely so i could clone the desktop on to it

maybe i will do this temporary then look for a new hard drive

thank you very much in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,414 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Well...just opinion.

A couple of weeks ago...I had a failing hard drive from the system of a friend.  I also use HD Sentinel on my systems.  When I connected the drive in question, the health was poor, weak sectors were recognized, bad sectors were recognized.  So I tried to clone the drive, using Macrium Reflect.  Macriums stopped and reported a "broken pipe" and would not complete the clone.  So I tried my install of Easeus Partition Master...it appeared to complete the clone...but when I tried it in the system it belonged in, a large number of corrupted files was reflected and the drive would not boot.

So I would say try cloning it but don't expect major success, since you have no idea of what damage has already occurred to the drive and the files installed on it.

My experience is that cloning software will provide the option of deleting any selected partition/drive...no need to format/delete before using the clone program.

Louis

#3 mefrank

mefrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

i am going to try it now

i have acronis true image 2009 installed on the desktop i will give it a try

the desktop is working , it is slowing ,sometime it locks up but it does work 

so do you think i will still have issues 

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Before you clone, do a

(1) Check a drive for errors. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/check-a-drive-for-errors

Run Chkdsk.
How to run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265#method2
How to run Chkdsk at the command prompt. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265#method1

(2) Run the following command in the elevated mode, Run As Administrator.
sfc /scannow

(3) Disk Defrag.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#5 mefrank

mefrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Crazy Cat 

Thank you very much for your response

just a couple questions

does it have to be in the order you listed

and how should i run the ckdsk with a /r or /f 

because so far i did the defrag it took almost 24 hours

and i did the ckdsk/f 

and also my health of my harddrive went up to 4% and thing are working better 

Thank you very much 

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

Crazy Cat 
Thank you very much for your response
just a couple questions

does it have to be in the order you listed

and how should i run the ckdsk with a /r or /f 

because so far i did the defrag it took almost 24 hours
and i did the ckdsk/f 

and also my health of my harddrive went up to 4% and thing are working better 

Thank you very much

Yes, do it in the order I posted.

Info.
(1) http://ss64.com/nt/chkdsk.html
(2) http://ss64.com/nt/sfc.html
(3) http://ss64.com/nt/defrag.html

(1) CHKDSK C: /F /R /X

(2) sfc /scannow

(3) DEFRAG C: -f -v

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

Are you performing these operations on the distressed drive prior to copying it? If so I'd have to question the wisdom of subjecting a failing hard drive to such rigors when you intend to clone it - if its contents are important get it copied off to another drive while it still works!

Edited by Platypus, 15 July 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Are you performing these operations on the distressed drive prior to copying it? If so I'd have to question the wisdom of subjecting a failing hard drive to such rigors when you intend to clone it - if its contents are important get it copied off to another drive while it still works!

Watch this quick video to hear what an imminent physical hard drive failure sounds like. Notice the clicking, chirping and grinding sound it is making. If you ever hear that noise coming from a hard drive, its days are numbered. http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Acronis_Cloning_Review.html

During the cloning process, you choose which drive you want to clone. If you accidentally pick the new empty drive, and clone that to the original drive, you will totally overwrite all of your data. No getting it back, it’s gone. Been there done that – once. This is why I recommend using the hard drive imaging process to upgrade a hard drive. It adds an extra step but it is a safety measure as well. http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Image_or_Clone.html

That's why I suggest to image your hard drive first before cloning, unless your absolutely certain?

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Watch this quick video to hear what an imminent physical hard drive failure sounds like. Notice the clicking, chirping and grinding sound it is making. If you ever hear that noise coming from a hard drive, its days are numbered. http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Acronis_Cloning_Review.html

During the cloning process, you choose which drive you want to clone. If you accidentally pick the new empty drive, and clone that to the original drive, you will totally overwrite all of your data. No getting it back, it’s gone. Been there done that – once.

These points are very true... So don't pick the wrong drive when you clone it, and don't stuff around with it as much as possible. I've found Acronis can fail with near dead disks (and has done for me several times) and end up using Parted Magic with success. My 2c...

#10 mefrank

mefrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

my hard drive is not making any noises that i have noticed 

and also since doing the things suggested the health has gone up from 0% to 4% on hard disk sentinel

i have done every thing that you listed and it looks like i have to get my self another new hard drive - because the one i have is only 75gb and the when i tried cloning with acronis 2009 it said that repairs to disk has to be done and also there is not enough space 

so i downloaded from seagate (the harddrive manufacture ) a discwizard also from acronis but it is tellling me it needs more room 

so right now i am backing it up atleast to the 2nd drive and i guess i will have to go out and get a new hard drive 

any suggestions or they are all the same 

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users