Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard " Mis-firing "

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

First...SORRY for the long post ! 

Mother bought "manufacturer refurbished" pc from ebay.Great deal & pc worked GREAT-UNTIL...I was setting it up/testing it for herFirst problem:dvd optic drive wasn't working.Seller is supposeed to be sending us a new one.I spent HOURS testing/looking for possible solutions to this problem.

NEXT problem-(POSSIBLY after an update)...the keyboard started malfunctioning).Wouldn't seem to type certain letters.I decided to do a "system restore" (since the pc was so new to us it wouldn't matter).I restored the pc back to the earliest possible date.Which was actually a week or so before we even received it.Might not have been a good thing to do.....

After this system restore,we started seeing the "this copy of windows may not be genuine" message (and actually,I'm almost certain it isn't.Seeing as this pc was purchased 2nd hand and the pc itself told us that the original purchase date was sometime back in 2010) !! Now wondering if maybe both of these issues (the dvd drive and the keyboard issue) aren't some MS "security measure" to keep people from "illegally" using their software ???

I actually spoke with the seller on the phone (he called me) and when I told him that I had done a system restore because of the keyboard issue & that now I was getting the "non genuine" msg,he bacame "quite quiet".Hmmmmm.No matter...I could give a sh*t less about MS myself.But,this pc (the one with the issues) was purchased by my elderly mother on my advice because it was inexpensive.

Well-guess what ? AFTER the system restore,the keyboard started working again (after a couple of re-boots).BUT...I had to leave for awhile and when I got back the keyboard again was not working (Windows auto-update seems to have ran while I was away).Now-for my question.....I know that there are "work-arounds" for this issue.I've seen them on the web.I'm just curious as to if any of you might know THE BEST way to "work-around" this "problem" ????

Anybody have any thoughts ???? All help much appreciated.And...Thank you !!!

{Slight update} Hmmmmmm...left that pc alone for about 20 mins and keyboard is working again.For now.Ha,ha.

Edited by GuitarFiend, 11 July 2013 - 12:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

So my knowledge Microsoft does not intentionally disable and or try to hinder the use of hardware to combat pirating. Though, they will pop up annoying "register now" and "your copy is not valid" messages from time to time, and it will log you off after two hours of use from time to time. What could of possible happened was that the seller installed a pirated copy of windows, then used a loader to crack windows, then once it "passed" (tricked) Microsoft valid checker it then updated and an update set a restore point. Now, is the computer a laptop or a desktop? If the pc has a COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) on the side, top, or back, you can start windows activation and put in the OEM COA key.
To re activate your windows or change serial key. Please follow these steps.

Click the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
Scroll down to the bottom of the window that appears, and then, under Windows activation, click Change product key. If you're prompted for permission to continue the process, click continue. Then windows will prompt you for your serial, type in one on the COA sticker. Windows will guide you through the steps to change your serial.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

This is a laptop.There is no "COA" BUT-there IS a " "win 7 pro refurbished pc" sticker on the bottom that has a product key #.And,there is also a "service tag # " sticker that also has an "express servive code # on it.

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ok, and what version of windows is currently installed? If windows 7 pro is installed please follow the steps I described above and type in the serial found underneath your laptop. I suggest writing down the serial on a piece of paper so you don't have to lift the computer up to keep checking the serial. Good luck, keep me posted.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

This website addresses how to determine if your copy of Windows 7 is genuine.

Edited by dc3, 11 July 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users