Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected via Minecraft (maybe)- can't get rid of it

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 david.fuhrmann

david.fuhrmann

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Let the kids play Minecraft and think that's what opened the system up to something (that's just an educated guess - I'm far from an expert in this area).

Running windows 7 on a basic HP desktop, with the typical MS office software.  System became unresponsive and needed to power-off to shut down.  After it re-started the first time it became unresponsive within about 15 minutes so shut down again and powered of the wireless router.  No problems until I turned the router back on -

First thing I noticed was radio playing through the speakers - to my knowledge, no one ever set this up.  I went into task manager and noticed a system process that was consuming a large amount of resources and growing.  I took a shot and ended the process.  At that point, the radio station stopped playing and the system seemed fine.

Within about 5 minutes, the radio started up again and the suspect system process showed up again in task manager.  I tried to end the process again.  At that point, the system became unresponsive and had to be powered down.  Repeated this set of steps with the same results.

Tried to download an update to the MS vulnerability software, but the system didn't stay operational long enough to complete the download.

Open to suggestions -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Can you operate better from Safe Mode with Networking?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users