Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Run a 300gb Hard Drive on an XP laptop?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi.  I have an older Dell laptop running on XP.  Can I install a 300 GB SATA drive on this unit and expect everything to run okay?

Also, is there any concern about moving away from XP and to, say, Windows Seven?  My friend says XP will become a problem when MS stops supporting it next year.  I would just as soon stay with XP.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Please post the model of this Dell.

XP has been one of Microsoft's better operating systems.  When Vista came out it had lots of problems, so they trotted out Windows 7 which has proven to be every bit as good as XP was.  You can use Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to determine if your laptop will be compatible.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Here's the link to the Windows 7 Update Advisor that dc3 mentioned. If you do consider upgrading to Windows 7 then definitely run it as it could save you time and money: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

I do agree that XP and 7 are the best. Had a little go with Vista and found the constant asking of whether to run a program or not rather annoying. I do miss XP though since I now run 7.

Upgrading to Windows 7 (or 8 if you like it) is not 'a must or else your computer will stop working' as long as you keep in mind that your system will be open to a lot exploits which Microsoft won't fix. There are people who run the older OSes with no problem, you just need to keep it in mind. I do suggest you try out 7, it's similar to XP, but it does take a little bit to get used to (unlike 8 which takes a lot more getting used to).

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Here's the link to the Windows 7 Update Advisor that dc3 mentioned. If you do consider upgrading to Windows 7 then definitely run it as it could save you time and money: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

xXToffeeXx~

Thank you xXToffeeXx, I had intended to post that link, but I missed it while multitasking.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

Arach, thank you.  It is a Dell Inspiron 1200.  It seems I had another XP laptop that I tried to install a larger HD in, and it had trouble running.  During that time I read that XP can sometimes have trouble running an HD larger than about 160 GB.  Another concern I have is that I am running the older legendary HP  Laserjets 4 and 5 at home.  I need to do this because I am a teacher and a writer and do a LOT of printing, and these machines are very cheap to run and maintain.  I was told recently that Windows 7 may not contain the drivers for these older printers.  But thank you, Arach.

#6 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

TOFFEE: Thanks, I ran the update advisor, and it sounds like it may not run my older computers.  I'm going to hang with XP for a while.  It seems if I run a good Spyware program like AVG, and back it up with Malwarebytes, etc. , I should be okay.  Thanks.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

It seems I had another XP laptop that I tried to install a larger HD in, and it had trouble running.  During that time I read that XP can sometimes have trouble running an HD larger than about 160 GB.

Prior to SP1, XP ran a 28-bit LBA which had a maximum hdd size of 137.4 GB.  SP1 implemented the 48-bit LBA making it possible to use larger hdds.  So answer to your question regarding a larger hdd in your Dell Inspiron 1200, yes you can use a larger hdd as long as it has at least SP1.  That said, you really should have SP3 installed as you can't get updates through the end of the life cycle of XP, this ends April of 2014.  There are important updates which make operating this operating system online safer.

#8 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Yes, Arach, that must have been it.  I think I had put in a 160 gb drive before SP-1.

On that point, do you have a link to the SP-3 download for XP you can send me?  I had a HECK of a time finding it online several months ago.

Thanks Again,

Educated Guess

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

XP SP3 Download

Louis

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

There are three ways you can install SP3.

1)  Download it manually.

2)  Turn on Updates, this should be done in any case.

3)  Order a CD from Microsoft.

You can find instructions for all of these at How to download Windows XP SP3.

#11 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

Thanks to everyone, and especially to Arach, for your responses here.  By the way, Arach, I spoke to MS on the phone today and they said they no longer have XP SP3 discs in stock.

One other wrinkle: I ordered a reformat disc directly from Dell today.  They said it has SP2 on it.  I still planning on loaded SP3 before the end of the lifecycle on XP, but, Arach, do you think SP2 would solve the problem of the larger drive going in?  I'm installed a 320 GB Western Digital into this unit.

Thanks again to everyone.  Appreciate it very much.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

My XP computer had a 200GB hdd and didn't have any problems as a result.  I don't see the 320GB hdd being a problem. :thumbup2:

#13 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

If you want to install SP3 from a CD, Microsoft has a disc image that you can download.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

I have made an SP3 CD using this image.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

That is good information.

Edited by dc3, 17 July 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#15 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks, Everyone.  Arach, what version of XP are you running? Is that with SP3, SP2 or SP1?  I am receiving a factory reformat disc from Dell next week that they said was SP2.  I assume I'm going to want upgrade to SP3 as soon as possible, correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users