Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning question: can I merge images into one document

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

I am running an old Dell laptop on XP and scanning to an HP Officejet 5610.

I am an English teacher, and I want to scan a couple of short stories and email them to my students as a single document.  Is there a way to do this?  If so, could someone please send me a link for instructions to how to do this.  Right now, when I scan, I seem to have to scan each page of the document separately, so a five-page short story becomes five separate document becomes five separate docs.  Is there an easy way merge them all into one doc, or to scan the entire doc as one.

I'm a little technically challenged, but I can figure this out with a little guidance,.

Thanks So Much,

English Teacher 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

http://www.pdfsam.org/

We use this program at my work, just make sure to name the files so that they appear in the order that you want them to merge then Merge it, name it and youre done.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

I am not quite clear from your post exactly what you are doing with the scanner. Are you scanning each page / story as an image or are you carrying out OCR (optical character recognition) on them and producing each one as a Word document ?

If you are using OCR, then the answer lies in the scanner settings. I have an Epson stand alone scanner but the Epson interfaces I have seen are very similar. When you go to scan, there is a column of boxes on the left hand side - 'Single page colour', 'single page B&W' and so on. If you click on the appropriate box, you will find the option to scan a multi-page document, choose this. Then after you scan each sheet you will be prompted for the next one until you say 'No more'. Then you will have them in one document.

If you are producing them as images - .jpg files or something similar - then you can paste or insert them into a Word document. It may be one per page, or two if they are very short, but again you will have them in one document.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

PDFCreator is a great way to do this.... for free.

Just import all the images to your new PDF, save as 1 file and hooray!

Or you can import to a word document then save, as Chris suggested, but it may not look as nice.

oops, just saw GreenGiant117 suggested a similar thing.

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.  I truly appreciate it.  I will be testing out these various suggestions in the next week or so, and will report back once I do so. 

Thank you so very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users