Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lvzx14

lvzx14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hello,

I am new to the forum so first thing first hello to all you ladies and gent's my name is Aaron.

I have a small issue with a family member's computer that I thought I would see if anyone could help with. My uncle was having an issue with booting into window's xp so he decided to insert the windows xp install disk then cancelled it during the install. When I managed to take a look at it whenever I would restart it it would boot into the windows setup screen. I was also unable to get into safe mode...etc

At this point I figured he had formatted his C: drive and that I need to finish the install. So I went ahead and restarted the win XP install and installed it onto his secondary D drive. Once windows was installed I went into his "my computer" and took a look at his C: drive and low and behold everything is still on his C drive from before. The windows operating system is still there as is all of his files and programs.

So my question is how can I go about making it boot using his previous win xp on his C drive without it going into the setup screen? Prior to installing it on the D drive I tried to do a repair on the C drive with no success.

Is there a boot file I need to edit or a way I can fix the win xp on the C drive?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this, worst comes to worst I will just leave the new install on the D drive and move everything over. I just thought I would see if there were a way to make it boot again on the C drive.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Boot into the second install.

Try this, Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm .

If that doesn't do the job...then you can boot into the second install and manually edit the boot.ini file for the orgiinal install.

Louis

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

Edited by hamluis, 11 July 2013 - 11:53 AM.
Added link.

#3 lvzx14

lvzx14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thank you Hamluis, I will give that a try and see how it works out. I have never ran into this problem before so I am completely clueless which is why I thought I would ask on here.

Appreciate the advice and hopefully will fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users