Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Adw. Cleaner before and after running

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 julio99

julio99

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

I was advised by a friend from another forum to run Adw. Cleaner as I was having some issues with boot times. I was reading the posts under the Adw Cleaner usage instructions and happen to notice the lines about /disable Chrome detection; disable ff detection............. Are these something I need to do before running this program is this program going to disable something in these browsers? After running the program do you reccomend posting back or just going ahead with cleaning on my own? I would just prefer being safe before running this. I also have ESET AV v6.0 and Windows Defender running on my laptop right now if that matters at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CasCollins

CasCollins

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Adw. Cleaner removes preferences for Chrome and Firefox, such as your homepage. At least this is what happens to me when I use it. Before running the program, if you're looking for help, you should wait for someone to reply to assist you.

#3 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

Adw. Cleaner removes preferences for Chrome and Firefox, such as your homepage. At least this is what happens to me when I use it. Before running the program, if you're looking for help, you should wait for someone to reply to assist you.

That is why I asked. I just thought those (disable ff and chrome detections) were a little beyond what I understood. Is it something I'm supposed to disable or what? You said it disabled your preferences for chrome. Was it like all your extensions were gone or all your settings back to default? By the way, did it find any adware?

#4 CasCollins

CasCollins

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

It just removes a few of it's settings. You can reinstall chrome to get those settings back which is what I did when I received help. Also, I'm not one of the helpers for BC so I don't know whether it removed adware for you or not. Just wait for someone to help you.

#5 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

It just removes a few of it's settings. You can reinstall chrome to get those settings back which is what I did when I received help. Also, I'm not one of the helpers for BC so I don't know whether it removed adware for you or not. Just wait for someone to help you.

That is what I'm doing.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

AdwCleaner also contains some advanced options that disable certain detections. To access these options, you can click on the question mark (?) in the upper left corner of the program and then click on Options. You will then be presented with a dialog where you can disable various detections. These options are described below:

/DisableAskDetection This option disables Ask Toolbar detection.
/DisableIEDetection This option disables Internet Explorer specific detections.
/DisableFFDetection - This option disables Firefox specific detections.
/DisableChromeDetection This option disables detections for Chrome & Chromium based browsers.
/DisableOperaDetection This option disables Opera specific detections.
/DisableProxyDetection This option disables Internet Proxy detections.

How To Use AdwCleaner

adwc4.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

AdwCleaner also contains some advanced options that disable certain detections. To access these options, you can click on the question mark (?) in the upper left corner of the program and then click on Options. You will then be presented with a dialog where you can disable various detections. These options are described below:

/DisableAskDetection This option disables Ask Toolbar detection.
/DisableIEDetection This option disables Internet Explorer specific detections.
/DisableFFDetection - This option disables Firefox specific detections.
/DisableChromeDetection This option disables detections for Chrome & Chromium based browsers.
/DisableOperaDetection This option disables Opera specific detections.
/DisableProxyDetection This option disables Internet Proxy detections.

How To Use AdwCleaner

adwc4.png

Why would you want to check any of the boxes. Would you not want to run it to cover all the browsers, or are these boxes specific if you just want to run this tool on a certain browser. If I click the /disable Chrome Detection does that mean it won't scan the Chrome browser. I don't get why you would want to check any of the boxes if you wanted it to cover your whole machine.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Not all toolbars, add-ons and extenstions are bad. In fact, many Anti-virus and security vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install". This typically is the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it.

Since some folks like toolbars, the creator of AdwCleaner incorporated options for his tool not to automatically remove those they may want to keep while running his tool.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 julio99

julio99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Not all toolbars, add-ons and extenstions are bad. In fact, many Anti-virus and security vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install". This typically is the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it.

Since some folks like toolbars, the creator of AdwCleaner incorporated options for his tool not to automatically remove those they may want to keep while running his tool.

I don't have any toolbars in my browsers Pale Moon and Chrome other than the bookmarks bar. So I guess I should check the Firefox and Chrome boxes so it disables that toolbar detection. I just want the app to find adware or spyware without damaging my settings if that is possible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users