Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 1501 refurbished system board problems part 2 disk read error on screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 edward3608

edward3608

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

As in earlier post concerning this problem which I explained that I installed a refurbished system board in my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. I managed to get LCD screen on Dell 1501 laptop to function by reconnecting LCD wires to new system board. Now though, when system starts ,the screen show the Dell insignia and then  there is the message ,'a disk read error has occured,pres ctrl+alt + del to restart. I followed these instructions and the same message keeps appearing. I tried t reposition the HD but that doesn't fix problem.  This unit run Vista 32 bit. It has a AMD Semprom 3600 1.8 GHZ processor. Any Ideas to repair problem would be welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Hi

Most Dell systems came with a built in self test option to check RAM, CPU, HDD and others. Please run it following the below instructions.

:step1: Press F12 while powering on to bring the boot menu. 

:step2: Choose Diagnostics from the menu to start the test.

Report what it says on next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 July 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#3 edward3608

edward3608
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just finished that . HD DST short failed. error code 2000-146. Could this be caused by Bio's not recognizing HD or is the HD failing.. I installed an HD from an old unit that was wiped cleaned and received message that there is no OS system installed.When this was done I did not receive the disk read error with this HD but it is only 120 gb. I reinstalled the problem HD and received on boot that HD 4 may fail and then rebooted by pressing F1 only to receive  the disk read error message again.  Thanks for help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users