Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[HELP] Computer only works with one hard drive!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 darkNIGHTS

darkNIGHTS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

I put my computer to sleep last night, woke up this morning and turned it on. Came back 10 minutes later to realize there was no video output. Spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it to turn on. Eventually I got it to turn on by unplugging everything but my main SSD. If I even plug in the POWER to one of my two mechanical hard drives the computer fails to boot. Doesn't even have to be plugged into the motherboard, just power.

I have no idea if there was a storm last night or not, but this is a new power supply, less than a month old.

Any ideas on what it could be other than the power supply needs to be replaced?

Thanks, Cory

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Why did you replace the PSU?

What is the make and model of the new one

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

The trick to troubleshooting any hardware problem is to start with the basics. If you unplug your SSD and only connect a single HDD,, then boot the system, what happens? Try this with both HDDs one at a time and report the results. A defective drive may be the issue.

Edited by slgrieb, 13 July 2013 - 03:35 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

The trick to troubleshooting any hardware problem is to start with the basics. If you unplug your SSD and only connect a single HDD,, then boot the system, what happens? Try this with both HDDs one at a time and report the results. A defective drive may be the issue.

It will only boot from the hdd that has the operating system installed on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 darkNIGHTS

darkNIGHTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Hi guys, sorry for not responding. I was traveling this weekend. It ended up being the motherboard. When I put the computer to sleep once, the motherboard went into a very weird state. I had to reset the CMOS battery and then it worked. But I returned it because I need my computer to sleep. Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 was the culprit.

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Color me confused, but I thought the OP meant that if he plugged in the power connection for more than a single hard drive the system wouldn't POST. I wondered if this could be isolated by testing one drive at a time, I'm surprised that this was a motherboard issue; I'd have suspected a PSU issue, or a defective drive. Surely, you aren't confusing a system's ability to boot with it's ability to load the OS, are you?

Edited by slgrieb, 16 July 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 darkNIGHTS

darkNIGHTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Color me confused, but I thought the OP meant that if he plugged in the power connection for more than a single hard drive the system wouldn't POST. I wondered if this could be isolated by testing one drive at a time, I'm surprised that this was a motherboard issue; I'd have suspected a PSU issue, or a defective drive. Surely, you aren't confusing a system's ability to boot with it's ability to load the OS, are you?

No, of course not. It was extremely bizarre that the number of drives plugged into the PSU correlated with the boot, but I consistently recreated it twice. With 3 hard drives plugged into PSU (SATA cables to motherboard didn't change anything), the computer would power up but never POST. When just my SSD was plugged in, it would POST. I recreated that twice. I suppose that correlation=/causation, but it's a weird coincidence. After clearing the CMOS battery, the computer boots up with all 3 of my hard drives plugged in no problem. Then I put it on sleep and it never came back to life, had to reset the CMOS to get it to post again. So I returned it and using all the same components except for the motherboard, it works 100% now. Weird.

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

No, of course not. It was extremely bizarre that the number of drives plugged into the PSU correlated with the boot, but I consistently recreated it twice. With 3 hard drives plugged into PSU (SATA cables to motherboard didn't change anything), the computer would power up but never POST. When just my SSD was plugged in, it would POST. I recreated that twice. I suppose that correlation=/causation, but it's a weird coincidence. After clearing the CMOS battery, the computer boots up with all 3 of my hard drives plugged in no problem. Then I put it on sleep and it never came back to life, had to reset the CMOS to get it to post again. So I returned it and using all the same components except for the motherboard, it works 100% now. Weird.

Gotta say, that's one of the stranger motherboard issues I've encountered.

WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users