Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DELL INSPIRON 1501 NEWLY INSTALLED REFURBISHED SYSTEM BOARD PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 edward3608

edward3608

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

I installed an refurbished system board in my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop  that uses a AMD Sempron 1.8GHZ processor. The operatins system is Vista 32 bit.

Well, my problem is that after installing the system board ,when the unit is powered on , the LCD screen is black as if the unit is not powered on;however, the unit is receiving power because the power indicator light is lighted and also ,after powered on a few seconds, when I press a key on the keyboard the unit will start beeping and sometimes keep beeping until I presss another key on keyboard.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem? Also, Do I need to flash BIOs? I don't have a cd disk to do so as refurbished system board did not come with cd. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hold a flashlight against the screen to see if you can make out anything.  If you can see anything, then you didn't get your backlight hooked up properly.  If you cannot see anything, plug a monitor/TV into your video out on the lappy and see if you have video out.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 edward3608

edward3608
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

It seems that the LCD wire to system board was lose. Now screen works but I get the message, 'a disk read error has occured, press control ,+alt + del to restart.' I follow these instructions . When system starts I get the Dell insignia  on screen then after a few seconds I get the same message, 'a disk read error has occured.'

I have no idea what causes this or how to repair. I tried to reposition HD put I still get same message. I wonder if this could be caused by the system board I had installed. Any ideas  on how to fix would be welcomed.

Thanks, edward

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Hi

Please follow my instructions to test the health status of your hard disk first. Running the diagnostics will let us know whether the issue is hardware related or not.

#5 edward3608

edward3608
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have run the diagnostics as requested. Received HD short failed error code 2000-0146. I installed a used 120 mb HD that was wiped clean. I received message on boot that OS system was missing but I did not receive the disk read error that I receive when the problem HD is installed.  Any help is appreciated.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi

As you can see yourself, that HDD is a failed one. You need to run the manufacturers diagnostic tool for accurate result. If you have either Western digital or Seagate hard drive, running their own testing tool may provide an option to repair non vital bad sector errors. A repaired drive won't be reliable like a new one so replacing it with a good hard drive is highly recommended.

For Seagate drives, use Seatool for DOS - http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

Use the long test option.

For Western digital drives, use WD lifeguard diagnostics - http://www.box.net/shared/gl0fifqgj4

Use the extended test option.

You should change the SATA mode to IDE in BIOS before running those tools.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 July 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#7 edward3608

edward3608
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I will probably buy a new HD . Anshad, thanks for your help. Edward

#8 edward3608

edward3608
  • Topic Starter