Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything's gone wrong after SSD installation! Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 churchado

churchado

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

Some background: I recently installed a new SSD on my Dell Studio PC and cloned my hard drive to the SSD so that Windows 7 would boot from the SSD. However, to do this, I needed to delete (after backup) a lot of files before cloning so that the drive would fit.

After having a lot of issues, including my back up software suddenly not recognizing backups etc, I finally managed to restore most of my files. Part of the process I followed was changing locations of some user files (such as My Pictures) to the old hard drive.

Anyway, I have had lots of issues with Windows since, with losses of icons etc and programs not working, some of which I have now seemed to have corrected by restoring some of my files in appdata folder. However, I've never been able to bring all these files back as I get messages saying some cannot be moved due to security settings.

Now, I am unable to open files such as explorer.exe and control panel! One message said that the username I was logged in as had prevented me from access.

This all seems bizarre and confusing to me and any help would be appreciated.

Nb: I'm detailing this all from memory whilst on a train so specifics could be a bit fuzy. I can check error messages etc when I get home if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

What cloning software was used?

Louis

#3 churchado

churchado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I used EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

I was following this article in Lifehacker mostly..

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

<<However, to do this, I needed to delete (after backup) a lot of files before cloning so that the drive would fit.>>

Not sure what that means.

<<After having a lot of issues, including my back up software suddenly not recognizing backups etc,>>

Well...I'm not familiar with Todo Backup.  When using a given program...the best source of info re how to use said program to obtain the results you want...is the developer of that program.

I do use Easeus Partition Master to make clones...I also use Macrium Reflect...and I have cloned SATA drives to SSDs with no problems from either.

My instincts say...if the drive was properly cloned and reflects problems...those problems existed prior to the clone effort.

To absolve the SSD, I would do a clean install.

If I wanted to absolve the cloning process I used...I would repeat my steps to a SATA non-SSD.

Louis

#5 churchado

churchado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

<<However, to do this, I needed to delete (after backup) a lot of files before cloning so that the drive would fit.>>

Not sure what that means.

Louis

The C drive had about 250gb of files on it and I had to clone it to for in a 128gb SSD. So I backed up the all 'my documents', 'my videos', 'my pictures' and various other files and removed them so that my C drive ended up with less than 128gb on it.

I think my biggest problem has been that I didn't understand the backup program well enough and during restore of some files, I inadvertently was restoring whole drives rather than small filepaths. Then I had to go through and remove double ups (and even triple ups) and somewhere along the line I made an unwise decision to allow access to all users to my appdata folder which then seemed to duplicate even more folders. Trying to fix this access problem now seems to have caused the error I have described which stops me accessing system files.

Something else I forgot to mention is that Google Chrome won't access https websites anymore but Firefox will.

I'm not sure if I can do a clean install as I bought Windows 7 as a download installation and can't locate any I iso file or anything that relates to it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Sorry, but I f can't think of anything other than a clean install as the exxpedient thing to do.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users