Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editing The Bios System

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nolf

Nolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

I think my computer is underclocked. I have a PIII 1000mhz, which I thought should show a speed of 1000mhz (1 ghz) instead of the 727mhz which My Computer properties say. Someone told me that to get my computer out of being underclocked, I need to check the FSB speed in the BIOS and change it to the correct speed. Anyone know how to do that? Thanks a lot in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated

P.S. I've entered the ROM setup when my computer reboots, but I don't know how to edit anything.

My computer is a COMPAQ Evo N600C
18.6 GB harddrive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

I found a generic document to enter the BIOS in HP/Compaq computers. It looks like you need to press the F10 key on the keyboard to enter the Setup menu. It also says that the CPU speed setting might be under the Advanced menu in your BIOS.

Further information on changing settings, and other useful information can be found in this support article: BIOS Setup Information and Menu Options

Also, here is the main support page for your laptop:

Compaq Evo n600c Notebook PC

Hope that helps.
JC

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

Be really careful what you do.

Changing the bios/clock settings like that are something that only an expert should do. You can easily fry your processor and mb if you make a mistake.

First of all - download Everest Home version 1.51 (the last full feature freeware version) from oldversion.com.

Install it and see what it states your settings are.

#4 Nolf

Nolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

hey
thanks for all the help!

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:02 AM

It's a Mobile PIII and most likely using SST.
If that's the case, it's doing exactly what's it's supposed to do.
The best time to check and see what windows is reporting is immediatley after boot (before it steps down) and running on ac power (not battery). If it shows the full 1ghz then, or something completely different, you'll know for sure.
You may or may not be able to disable it. Many OEM's don't allow access to the adjustments because they don't want users cooking the cpu and having to warranty it. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 20 April 2006 - 08:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users