Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 System Repair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dclmom11

dclmom11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi, My computer keeps cycling on & off giving a weird white box with Startup Repair & a blue bar moving across the screen. I have tried starting in safe mode with networking & it just repeats the problem. Same thing with restoring a previous session. I have tried the F8 key & got to run the l:listparts64.exe & it still wouldn't start up in normal fashion.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am totally clueless & all my photos of my kids (13 years worth) are on this computer. I have access to the internet from my sons ancient laptop but would love to have my super fast Dell back up & working.

Thanks,

Desperate Cranky Livid Mom

I attached the log that I got back from running the listparts64.exe process.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

Have you made any changes to the RAM (like bought more and installed it for instance)?  It sounds like your puter is pissed at the memory.  Are you getting any Blue Screens when it cycles on and off?  Will the machine stay online long enough to allow you to move about or do anything?  You could see if any minidumps have been dropped and run an analyzer to see what is causing the issue. 

You could also go into your Event Logs and check for any system Critical errors and Google the errors (or even post them back here - I'm sure someone would respond).  If you're not sure how to get into Event Viewer, I would just open your Start Menu -> Right click on Computer -> select "manage."  This should bring up your Computer Management Console.  On the left hand side you can navigate to Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

Just some ideas. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm a little confused with your running the ListParts from.  You posted that you accessed this via the F8 key, this should take you to the Advanced Boot Options which doesn't include ListParts.

If you can boot to the Advanced Boot Options try using the Last Known Good Configuration.  If this fails try the Repair Your Computer option.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Just to make sure that I understand you correctly, this computer will not boot into Windows at all?

Do you have the installation disc for this computer?  If not, you can use this website to download a ISO file which can then be burned to a DVD which you will be able to boot from to access the recovery options.

There are ways to retrieve the pictures and other files from the hdd if it becomes necessary.  One means would be to use a program like Ubuntu to recover you data.

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  To do this please download ImgBurn.

When you open ImgBurn you will see a page like the one below.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on Write image file to disc outlined in red.

The next page to open will be like the one below.

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Click on the icon of the folder and magnifing glass outlined in red to the right of Source to locate the Ubuntu ISO file.  Place a CD in the optic drive and click Burn.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and make your CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users