Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Scrolling

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

I have a small problem with the windows XP start menu. I use the Classic Start Menu, and until recently as soon as I hovered the mouse over the program groups, all shortcuts in each folder would appear automatically, but now only the frequently used ones appear, with those annoying chevrons to expand the group. Also, rarely used shortcuts have the icon slightly greyed. I have not knowingly changed any settings, and just find this irritating. I have looked around for a setting, but can't find one to resolve it.

Help please. :thumbsup:
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

I'm sorry I don't know exactly what you mean, but I thought I would mention where the Start Menu settings are.

Start > right click on the blue area at the top next to user name > Properties

Customize > Advanced may have the settings you are looking for.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:14 PM

I really hope this is alright for me to try to help.

If you have all of the current updates from Windows Updates or have the Windows Updates auto thing turned on you probably have had the last updates downloaded and installed. In these updates there was one that deals with ActiveX and it changes the way it acts. If Microsoft is using ActiveX for these icons this would be why hovering over them no longer functions properly.

Try just clicking on them and after doing this to all reboot and see if they work right.

I do not know if I am right on this one but we will give it a try anyway

good lick

#4 Floydoid

Floydoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

Try just clicking on them and after doing this to all reboot and see if they work right.

Thanks mate, isn't it always the simplest solutions that you overlook?

#5 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

Thanks mate, isn't it always the simplest solutions that you overlook?

Thanks for what? Please tell me what you did to fix the problem because i haven't found a guru yet that could tell me how to fix it. I have the same identical thing hapening to my programs.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hello bicycle bill, Microsoft just put out their windows updates last Tuesday night and there is a law suit they are going thru and they modified the ActiveX programming just a bit. When you pass you mouse cursor over the icon it is supposed to change a bit well now it might not. From what I have been told just click on the icon and it should reset the icon back to work with the activeX. Please read this article about it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1949924,00.asp

If you have anymore questions I will be happy to try to help and if the problem you are having is different than this one was please get an error message for me and I will try to help.

#7 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hello bicycle bill, Microsoft just put out their windows updates last Tuesday night and there is a law suit they are going thru and they modified the ActiveX programming just a bit. When you pass you mouse cursor over the icon it is supposed to change a bit well now it might not. From what I have been told just click on the icon and it should reset the icon back to work with the activeX. Please read this article about it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1949924,00.asp

If you have anymore questions I will be happy to try to help and if the problem you are having is different than this one was please get an error message for me and I will try to help.

Thanks Thor. I am ok now.

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

I have a small problem with the windows XP start menu. I use the Classic Start Menu, and until recently as soon as I hovered the mouse over the program groups, all shortcuts in each folder would appear automatically, but now only the frequently used ones appear, with those annoying chevrons to expand the group. Also, rarely used shortcuts have the icon slightly greyed. I have not knowingly changed any settings, and just find this irritating. I have looked around for a setting, but can't find one to resolve it.

I always thought that was caused by having a check in The Personalized Menus Box

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

I always thought that was caused by having a check in The Personalized Menus Box

It is.
Try putting a tic in that box and see.

#10 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

Right you are. Actually that is what i ended up doing.

Edited by bicycle bill, 21 April 2006 - 07:16 PM.

#11 Floydoid

Floydoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

Yep, it was the tick in the personalised menus option.

Why does MS make everything so damned devious?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users