Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

infected laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Redsama

Redsama

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

A friend brought over a laptop infected with a load of malware. The dvd drive in it is not working for me to install and run needed antimalware utilities so the only solution is to connect it to my own router. Any advice to do this and not infect my system? Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi -

You should not infect your own computer simply by using the router to download programs.

Can the infected computer connect to the internet and you can remove yours, if you are not sure post back -

Thanks -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

Is this the same system as reflected at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501128/installbrain/#entry3104192 ?

Same system reflected at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500418/icreinstall-zipextractorsetupexe/#entry3104136 ?

Louis

#4 Redsama

Redsama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

The system listed for ICReinstall is my personal desktop. The Installbrain laptop is the one i am mentioning here. I decided to go ahead and allow the laptop access to my wireless and just change the protocol from WEP when I'm finished with it.  I'm no good with networking so wiring it to the router I was afraid the laptop would try to infiltrate my desktop through some kind of workgroup. I suppose that would still be possible considering the wireless is technically part of the workgroup but so far the laptop doesn't see my desktop.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hello,

Since you are receiving assistance here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501128/installbrain/

for this computer, I am closing this topic to avoid potential confusion.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users