Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guild Wars Account Quetion....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:45 AM

If I reinstall windows on my comp, will I lose my guild wars accounts? Someone told me that the accounts (character name, level, profession etc.) were saved on the individuals computer, and that the storage and other things (like weapons, etc.) were stored on the companies servers.

Can anyone verify this? Or disprove it?

I'm fighting a losing battle with my computer, and have run out of patience with it (well, ok, so I've run out of know-how with it too :thumbsup: ), so I'm throwing the towel in the ring and will end up reinstalling windows AFTER I wipe the drive. Now, I dont' want to lose my 2 lvl 20 accounts, or my 2 other lvl 14 accounts either, hence my posting this question.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:53 AM

Well the simple awnser is No. Since your account information isn't actually stored on your computer but it is stored on a server. So if you reinstall windows or even reinstall the game nothing will happen. Just reinstall the game and retype your account name and password and your all set.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

:thumbsup: Phew! Glad to hear it. I dont' know as if I cold stand having to start all over again.

TBH, my son told me that I would lose my accounts if I wiped the drive. I believed him. Now, he's only 12, so you're asking yourself, why would I believe him? I believe him because once he asked me for help with his math homework (he's in 7th grade). After I was done feeling like a moron, and ended up having him explain to me why it's important to divide fractions and end up with remainders and when you should recipricolize (i should've asked him how to spell that) some other big words I didn't know, I realized that he was smarter than I gave him credit for. So, I grounded him for a week. That should take him down a few notches!!! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

How is guild wars?

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

How is guild wars?

Personally, I didn't like it the first week or so I had it. Looking back, I think that it was just so different from the other games that I was used to playing (I had gone from CnC Generals to FarCry to Battlefield 2), and had ended up liking FPS games.

Well, now I play Guild Wars (GW) a lot, and I love it! The game play is simple, the story line is simple (although hard to follow if you jump around to much), and the controls are easy (I play and very seldom touch the keyboard). What gets me into the game is the combination of having more than one character (you can have up to 4 different characters with completely different professions), and the actaul economy of the game. Prices for things actually change from day to day, depending on how much was sold and what they sold for. You can sell and buy items (any item including weapons, armor, runes, dye etc.) to anyone, including NPC merchants to make profit. You can also trade items. It's like an actual (mini version) of an economy that fluctuates with supply and demand.

Once you get a high level character, you can start making money with "side jobs" by running people from one place to another, running missions, or helping with missions. You can run to Droksnar from the nearest northern town for 1,000 gold per person, and you can have (including yourself) 6 people in your party. Now, do that run 2 times a day for a week, and you've got 70,000 in gold (which is like being a millionaire).

You can join guilds (similar to a clan) that people have created, and they'll (typically) help you with your characters needs (weapons, cash, completing missions etc.).

Yes, it's similar to runescape, but only about a million times better. GW's also has a guild vs guild option, where your guild can battle against other guilds for stats (battling for #1 guild), a player vs player mode, and there's like 1 or 2 other vs. modes I think (I haven't done to much of the versus modes).

If you liked runescape, even a little, you'll love guildwars.

Edited by stevealmighty, 18 April 2006 - 01:37 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

Interesting...I tried it for about a week and didnt like it. Maybe I will try it again sometime.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:59 PM

Interesting...I tried it for about a week and didnt like it. Maybe I will try it again sometime.

Yes, it took me more than a week to like it too. Now the game "pwns" me :thumbsup:

It's funner if you have a "buddy" to quest with. You can pm me if you're gonna try the game out again. I'll help you out :flowers:
Posted Image

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

Sounds good..not sure when its going to happen as its rare i get gaming time anymore.

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:20 PM

I can imagine that the twins are keeping you busy. That'll stop in about 30 years. Better sell them on ebay now while they're still young and cute, as compaired to being older and having college bills.

NNTR
Posted Image

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

lol

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:12 PM

Well there is one thing I hate about guildwars compared to World of Warcraft is that in Guild Wars after you leave a city you are in your own copy of the world so you have to group with people before leaving compared to Word of Warcraft when you can group anytime.

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:46 AM

Well...remember they are two different cost models. WOW can charge ya for 16 bucks and get away from it.

I found WOW to be too boring after a whiel..great game but the grind just gets a bit boring.

#13 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:02 PM

Yeah never said that WoW didn't go without any disadvantages

#14 Jay56

Jay56

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:06 PM

ascension sucks :thumbsup:

#15 obededom

obededom

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:42 AM

Ok guys, I saw that this thread hasn't been posted in for awhile... and I love Guild Wars, so I thought I would just post to say that, after not playing the first one (Prophecies) for awhile, I went back before the new one (Factions) came out, and I haven't stopped playing since.. neither game for that matter... and I think it will just get better from there. They will be coming out with 2 new games every year... so a new game every 6 months. Also, these aren't just expansions, but completely new campaigns with completely new features. Factions has an Asian-theme, and the new game, which should come out this holiday season, will have an African-theme, as well as completely new features from the original or Factions (such as, Factions has a constant "factions" war going on (in addition to the pvp and campaign), and then the new one will have a completely new side-feature that will be different). All-in-all, I just don't know why people hate on Guild Wars (not on these forums, but others have) saying "WoW WoW WoW" - uh, i say "monthly fees suck, monthly fees suck, monthly fees suck" and that's the main reason I don't play World of Warcraft. Anyway, that's my 2-cents worth and someone else post their thoughts on Factions!
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users