Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jackpine

Jackpine

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

My PC is currently experiencing two problems, which may or may not be related.

1. I am unable to use System Restore. Whenever I access it, system restore is selected off. I turn it on, and when I go back to it at a later time, it is off again. Also, when I go to the restore calendar, none of the dates is active, i.e., I can't click on them to restore to any date because restore dates were never created in the first place.

2. Whenever I run Spybot, Windows.RedirectedHosts is found. I remove it, immunize, and the next day it is back.

Any suggestions to fix these problems is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. If you follow the instuctions in the Prepatory Guide faithfully then this little bugger might be removed. However, rarely is a computer infected with only one thing.

If after completing all of the steps in the Preparation Guide you continue to have issues, post a HJT log as instructed in the Preparation Guide.

PREPARATION GUIDE

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:19 PM

Here is a classic and I hope I can help.

I recommend trying to reinstall System Restore, here's how:

1. You will need to be able to view hidden files, so go to Start>> Control Panel>> Folder Options>> View tab. Under Advanced settings, place a checkmark in: "Show hidden files and folders". Then uncheck: "Hide extensions for known file types". Click Apply, then OK to exit.

2. Open Windows Explorer, then go to Windows>> inf folder. Open the inf folder and find a file named:

sr.inf

Right click this file and select "Install" from the resulting menu.

Note: This procedure will delete all restore points from your old installation and recreate a fresh installation of System Restore.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

Since there aren't any restore points there will be nothing to restore however.

After you rebuild it using ThorXP's advice you still need to post a HJT log in the HJT forum.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

After you click on the box to turn off System Restore, do you remember to click the "Apply" button on the bottom? It won't remember the setting if you don't apply it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users