Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor power option

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 retthom1

retthom1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

I am using windows XP home sp3, w/IE 8.I am 79 yrs old & could always set the monitor power option to shut down the monitor after 10 min. if not being used. It doesn't do it anymore. I have reset it & restarted the PC, but it stays on. I am stumped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

I've always had the problem where after a day or 2 or maybe even less my monitor will not go into standby or go into standby and a few seconds later come out. Different computers, different monitors and everything so it seems like a bug in XP. This has been going on for years...maybe 10. It's only guaranteed to work after a reboot but it doesn't last.

Edited by .X., 10 July 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

I would uninstall my current video drivers, then reboot and reinstall same.  Often, such problems are related to damaged video drivers.

StartRun...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.  Double-click the Display Adapters heading....double-click the detailed item now revealed...click Driver tab...click Uninstall button.  Reboot, etc.

Louis

#4 retthom1

retthom1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

I did both of the replies that were posted, but power options still won't shut down the monitor.
I ck'd & my Micro.was up to date.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

You may have damaged system files.

You can try running the sfc /scannow command to try to repair damaged files or replace missing system files.

How To Use SFC Scannow to Repair Windows System Files - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users