Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Item leaving quick launch tool bar and mystery folder opening upon boot-up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Hi ... I'm trying to help a 75 year old friend of mine with his computer problems. Gateway computer running XP OS. The first problem is: We drag a shortcut icon (Google) from the desktop to the quick launch tool bar. But, after a shutdown and restart, the item is no longer on the QL tool bar. There is no problem with the three items we added previously, Outlook Express, Desktop, Notepad. We have tried various combinations of locked and unlocked tool bar settings. We have made sure that the icon is not "hidden" on the other side of the dividing bar.

The second problem: On every boot up an open folder appears on the screen. The folder is named  C:\windows , and it is empty. We have tried entering System Configuration (msconfig) and looking for it in the startup tab. It isn't there. We don't know where else to look.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

The second of your little problems - have you tried just right clicking on this folder icon and then clicking delete in the contextual menu that appears ? I can't think of an answer to your first one off-hand, I have always used icons on the desktop itself.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Den.

Den.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

The folder is OPEN upon startup. The icon address is C:\windows. I suspect that this folder may be needed for something.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

Instead of Left click dragging the Google icon to Quick Launch, try Right Click on the icon, drag to QL and when the sub-menu comes up, select Move to Here.  I may not have the wording exact as I haven't done this in a long time but it will do the job for you.  That should move the icon from the Desktop to QL permanently.

The open folder you mention?  Have you Right clicked on it to view the Properties?  It may give you some idea of where it came from or when it was created.

Edited by TulsaRose, 11 July 2013 - 05:20 AM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

To come back to this icon 'C:\Windows'. An icon on the desktop is just that, it is not the program itself. While I am running Win 7 and not XP, out of curiosity I have just created an icon 'C:\Windows' on my desktop and deleted it and my computer is still running !

Why somebody should have created a shortcut to the Windows folder escapes me, but you can quite safely delete the icon if it bothers you. Just right click on the icon and select 'Delete' from the contextual menu that will pop up.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Den.

Den.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

The folder is OPEN upon startup. It is NOT a desktop icon. The icon root address is C:\windows. I suspect that this folder may be needed for something. To try to find out why the folder is opening upon startup we have tried entering System Configuration (msconfig) and looking for it in the startup tab. It isn't there. We don't know where else to look.

edit: We now see that another folder has appeared inside the previously empty C:\windows. And, just this morning, the OUTLOOK EXPRESS icon has disappeared from the quick launch toolbar. He tried a restart but the icon was still missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users