Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Destroyed PC - Time for a new build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Davidian

Davidian

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hey everyone - recently the wife poured a cup of sugery tea into my case.. poof dead

The hard drives are salvagable but from what I can tell the mobo gpu cpu have had it :(

We claimed on insurance but after the the excess fee only got £680 - not what I've spent on the PC but a fair bit to spend and I have some cash over

So I am looking to spend around £1000

Not needing a case, PSU or Hard drives I'm open to a bit of spending.

I usually get some good midrange AMD stuff - love my ATI cards, but I figured, why not get something quite special.

I'm tossing up between an AMD and INTEL rig, I really only need processor, ram, mobo, and CPU

I use my PC for Gaming, Audio Production, DJing, and I do a bit of Excel and SQL work - as well as the odd bit of web design though I dont need anything too powerful for that. I don't really overclock

These are the Rigs I am thinking of getting:

AMD

MOBO: SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core

INTEL

MOBO: Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU comparison: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770-vs-AMD-FX-8350

It seems very tight between the two... I dont overclock, I want stuff to load quickly, although I often have many things open at once...

BOTH

GPU:  Anything between - Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB and EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card performance & price wise

RAM: On both set ups I am looking at some various set of ram - I'm greedy thinking about 32gb but 16gb would suffice - I do frequently use 8gb
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Also I saw some 32gb Vengence Low profile Ram very cheap £108 but not sure how good the LP ram is

Heatsink/Cooler: Something like Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler or Zalman CNPS9900NT Ball Bearing

I have storage but figured might be worth getting an SSD to run windows and Core apps off of and a Cache drive to cache my WAV files when DJing off of my 2tb green drive.  - might be overkill

SSD: Corsair Neutron Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

CACHE: Corsair Accelerator Series 45GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

I'm open to suggestions, and am most likely gong to stay away from the SSD and Cache drive if I go with the intel set up - mainly due to the cost

Thanks everyone in advance for your help and advice.

facebook.pngtwitter.pngsoundcloud.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

That AMD CPU pulling close to 160 watts just grates on me for some reason. Good idea for aftermarket CPU cooling.  The stock AMD cooler screams from what I gather.   Might consider a Hyper 212 PLUS instead of the ZALMAN and save a little.

Since gaming is first on the list: I would be tempted to go for a 4670K with that Z87 Sabertooth, and save yourself a few quid (I listen to Jeremy Clarkson too much), and at the same time leave the easy overclocking option open for when you need it.  If you are avowed never to overclock, then a 4770 will work fine, but the up front cost for hyperthreading would make me hesitate if there is a hard cost ceiling.

2X8gig memory= yes  Absolutely try to stay with stock voltage memory (1.5V) vs the 1.65V stuff if going Intel.

SSD= yes  You will never look back at regular hard drives again.  That 45 gig "Cache drive" is silly and completely unneeded.

However you decide to go, you have good fundamental builds in your post that will work fine.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hey, thanks for the response.

So you don't think it is worth having a Cache drive for making my 2tb WD Greed Drive run faster? - cool, saves me a bit of casheesh.

I think I may have decided to go with the intel and 16gb of ram - thank you for the advice on the voltage, I hadn't considered that.

I think I have changed my mind a bit on the GPU...

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card

I did try and do a comparisson but the site didnt have the 4gb Nvida one only the 2gb.. so not sure if it is a fair test but still, if you are interested.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7970-vs-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-670

Any way, I am not buying tonight but I think I most definilty will tomorrow.

In regards to the SSD - Its going to be purely for my core programs - my games and videos and music will be on either my 500gb Caviar Blue (audio) or 2tb Caviar Green (Games and Videos) which is why I thought the Cache drive would be worth having - if you think the accelerator drives are worthless then I'll not bother and save myself a few quid.

Thank you very much

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

If you have an SSD for your OS and apps, and your HD for data, then that "cache drive" is pretty useless.  That cache drive was intended as an add on for those that wouldn't/couldn't afford a large enough SSD for their system.  Kind of imagine it as a larger aftermarket version of the Seagate hybrid drives.

Video cards.  As long as you have at least 2 gigs of video memory, you are good to go. If you have a 27" monitor, and a 2660X1440 resolution, then 2 gig could be cutting it close in some situations (gaming w high res textures).  The actual amount of memory doesn't effect the speed of a card.....unless you run short.

7970 is a good card.  I would take it over a GTX670.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

TBF my previous 1 gig  Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Vapor X still played every game really well till the "incident" so more than happy to upgrade to the 7970. - I do prefer ATi Cards, Cleaner, less "bloom"

The last thing I am thinking about is - CASE.

I have a case I love - the Antec 900 - however it gets a bit messy

the new cases are much better with the way you can put all the wires behind the mobo, they have hotswap bays etc - so I figure I may as well get a new one now instead of not dealing with it...

The question is - which.

I actually have a  Corsair Carbide 300 for my work PC which is quite nice.. the only thing I feel it is lacking is probably a couple of fans which are cheap and some additional front USB ports, easily solved with a hub. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-300rwindowed

It also has a nice little dust filter below everything

I love the look of the phantoms:  http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/34-phantom.html - but this looks a little big for the space I have

The smaller ones are quite cool looking too: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-080-NX

Also the antec 1100 looks great as well

I suppose whichever I get I might end up wanting another one... do you have any insight into cases? - Preferably around the Mid-Tower size.

Thank you again.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

I am the last person to offer advice on cases.  I like standard black non flashy cases.  My last two cases have been a Corsair Obsidian 700D, and a Carbide 400R (with the lights turned off).  Hard to resist a $49US deal on that 400R many months ago.  I certainly ain't no trendsetter as far as cases go.

Hopefully someone else with case opinions will chime in.  Of all the forums I lurk in, this one is the by far the most proper.  Once someone starts a dialogue with a poster, then the other members tend to let it go as to not interrupt I guess.

Anyone else....chime in here.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

A Corsair 650D is beautiful crafted mid-atx case you could look at or maybe the Fractal Design Define R4 which is intended to be silent.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Some Sexy cases - I do love the carbide cases, simple, sleek, but incredibly functional - I think I may end up going with one of those, i'll compare the 400 to the 300

The 650D looks great but I think it pushes me a bit too far over my budget. I'll defnitly take a comparative look between the 300, 400,  650D, and the phenom 410 and make a decision on that.

Thank you guys - I'll let you know when it is all set up :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users