Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Lattitude E6400 cd/dvd tray not opening

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Just received today new Dell Lattitude E6400 laptop from ebay.Trying to to get this pc set up for my elderly mother.Windows 7 is installed on this.Can't seem to find any good info on this problem.The cd/dvd tray will not open.The tray seems to have 2 buttons on it.My laptop only has one.Is one button a lock ? I ask because sometimes by accident open the one on mine.Anybody got any clues about this laptop ?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Found a way to manually open the tray with a paperclip.But,this problem still exists.The tray won't open and it will not play a cd.

Edited by GuitarFiend, 10 July 2013 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Right click on computer from the start menu and left click properties   on the left hand side click on device manager.. In the device manager under CD/.DVD Drives  click on the plus sign and right click on the name of the device that drops down and left click uninstall. reboot the computer and see if it fixes that..   If that does not work... reboot computer to the BIOS screen (might have to press the "DEL" Key to launch ) see if the drive is detected there if not its a drive issue 

#3 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

comptech...are you sure I should do this ? as we just got this pc this morning in the mail through ebay.It's supposed to be a manufacturer refurbished.And,I should let you know-I am not exactly a "comp wiz".Ha,ha.

#4 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

I have been building computers for 10 years this is a common trouble shooting step..once the computer reboots after the driver was removed it auto installs itself.  If you bought this from ebay as a refurb did it say that there were any issues with it?

#5 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have been building computers for 10 years this is a common trouble shooting step..once the computer reboots after the driver was removed it auto installs itself.  If you bought this from ebay as a refurb did it say that there were any issues with it?

comptech-did what you said (except the rebbot to the bio screen part) and no dice.Drive still doesn't work.And,I checked under computer through start and drive seems to be being detected.Funny though-when I click on computer and that window opens up on the left it shows my c: but not my d: ?? On the right though,it shows it as a device with removable storage.Sorry my last reply took so long.And,no...it didn't say there were any issues with it.

Edited by GuitarFiend, 10 July 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#6 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

If your cd/dvd drive is not recognized in the computer window then it is not connected to the motherboard, or worst case its not functional.

#7 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

That's what I was afraid of.I just finished running a Dell pc diagnostic and

DVD-RW DRIVE MATbleepA DVD+-RW UJ892 spindle test and Tray out test both failed.If that gives you anymore needed info.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Well...that's as clear as clear can be.

You did follow Dell instructions for testing the drive?  Did it require a DVD to be inserted?

Louis

#9 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Well...that's as clear as clear can be.

You did follow Dell instructions for testing the drive?  Did it require a DVD to be inserted?

Louis

You misunderstand hamluis-I ran what was called the "Dell pc diagnostic" and that told me : MATbleepA DVD+-RW  UJ892 drive spindle test and Tray out test" both failed.There were no "instructions" per se.It was just a test.And,no...it didn't require a dvd insert.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Dell PC Diagnostics, http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/555/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users