Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP SP 3 - Blue Screens & Windows Update kb2833941

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shley

shley

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

HELLO

I'm running a Compaq Presario V5000 with Windows XP Home SP3 x86 system.

On Tuesday, July 11th, 2013, Microsoft rolled out about 14 new updates and all were installed except one: KB 2833941.

I tried several times to update without avail and now I've had 2 - 3 blue screens one of which was in safe mode (I wasn't attempting to update in safe mode, only gather information).

Also, possibly related (?), my machine's behavior has been very strange and that happened about a week prior to these new updates. The behavior is a sluggish machine and it almost looks like my mouse has been taken over or that I'm in some connection with another person remotely. The mouse's 'fluency' is sluggish like it looks when you have some tech person helping you remotely. It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened enough and it seems to have increased. So there might be something there.

My antispyware (SUPER Antispyware Pro or MBAB Pro) detected and supposedly removed a trojan recently -- I believe it was called "Droppler" or "Doppler" or something along these lines.

I run Comodo Antivirus, too, which seems to be working and updating fine.

Any suggestions and assistance is appreciated.

-shley

Ref: Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2833941)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

NOTE:
The mouse strange behavior occurs, also, right after I try to do this update and when it fails a windows message pops up telling me the status - when I click CLOSE the window the mouse's behavior starts acting up. The machine will freeze up momentarily a then unfreeze with or withour mouse fluency problems.

fyi.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi

Welcome to the Bleeping Computer forum.   :welcome: 

To know what is going wrong with your system, we need to collect some basic info. So please follow the below steps.

:step1:  Open RUN dialog by pressing Windows key + R together. Enter msinfo32 in it to open the system information utility. Choose File --> Save and save the report as Sytem info .

:step2: Open C:\Windows\Minidump folder. If there are any files with .dmp extension, zip the entire folder (need the full content ) and upload it along with the system info report to any free file hosting site of your choice.

Examples :

Post the download link to it in next reply. I will keep you posted after analyzing them.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

For the KB 2833941:

Uninstall .NET Framework 1.1. Then download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool
From the drop-down box, select 1.1 and clean.
Reinstall .NET Framework 1.1
Download and install .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Visit Windows Update or Microsoft Update and let it install the rest of the 1.1 updates including KB2833941.

Check if it's installs and report back.

#5 quirmche

quirmche

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Not trying to hijack this topic, but .X.'s dot Net fix worked for me. So I really just wanted to thank him/her.

Incidentally, I am running the exact setup as the original poster, coincidence or not I'm not sure. Compaq Presario V5201 with Windows XP Home SP3 x86 system. I was also unable to get this "Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2833941)" installed, but the above fix worked like a charm! So, thanks again and good luck to the OP. :bananas:  :bananas: 

#6 juanca220144

juanca220144

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hi!

I want to thank .X. his fix worked for me.

Regards.

#7 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hi

Sorry it has taken so long to get back. I was very ill for about 5 days with stomach bug.

Anyway, I will try the .net route first. I am seeing this problem all over the Internet with not much solution. You would THINK Microsoft would have had a grip on this one. You know, all there years in the business. I remember them back in 1979. Things were a lot simpler then and things didn't break. 

Thanks. Give me a couple of days and I'll pull out that laptop and give it a whirl.

Thanks EVERYONE! I'll report back pronto.

'Shley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users