Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Default Programs - Not all Programs Discovered?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

I recently downloaded Photoscape, a free media/picture editing & tools program along with Real Player the two seem to be linked and couldn't figure out how to get just one but anyway I have no issue with Real Player so I downloaded both.

I am trying to set Photoscape as my default photo program but it doesn't show up on the list of programs that Windows brings up.   If I try to open a photo file by using OPEN WITH Photoscape doesn't show up there either but it is on my computer so I'm confused what the problem is.

Photoscape appears to have a lot to offer.   Any recommendations or experiences similar?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

You say you downloaded Photoscape, but did you "install" it?

If you did not install it, Photoscape will not show up in your programs list.

If it is installed, it will be listed down near the bottom of your programs list.

Once you find it in the list, click on it to open it, you will then see two entrys, one to open Photoscape, and one to un-install it.

If you want a Desktop icon, simply right click on the Photoscape entry, choose "send to", and select "desktop".

But once again, simply downloading it is not enough, you must go to your downloads files and double click on Photoscape, and "install" it first.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

You say you downloaded Photoscape, but did you "install" it?

If you did not install it, Photoscape will not show up in your programs list.

If it is installed, it will be listed down near the bottom of your programs list.

Once you find it in the list, click on it to open it, you will then see two entrys, one to open Photoscape, and one to un-install it.

If you want a Desktop icon, simply right click on the Photoscape entry, choose "send to", and select "desktop".

But once again, simply downloading it is not enough, you must go to your downloads files and double click on Photoscape, and "install" it first.

Your photo brings to mind - I REALLY LIKE YORKIES, have known 2 in my life both wonderful pets.   I do miss them.

It must be installed because there is a shortcut on my desktop and when I click it a menu opens containing the various options from which to choose.   So yes,  do believe it is installed.

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

When you double click the desktop icon, is this what you see?

[attachment=139711:Capture.PNG]

If so, then Photoscape is installed.

Then, what are you trying to do, open a photo to edit in Photoscape?

I do not know if you can get Photoscape in the "open with" list.

I usually go the opposite way with my photo editing programs, I would open the program,Paint Shop Pro, Photoscape, Photoshop, Etc., and then import the photos I want to work with.

Edited by GB2064, 10 July 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#5 Friendly Mom

Friendly Mom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

Here's how you get Photoscape as your Default viewer:

Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Associations

Scroll down and select the file you want PhotoScape to handle (e.g. "jpg")

Click "Browse"

Navigate to your PhotoScape Folder (Probably in C > Program Files(x86) folder?), open folder, click the PhotoScape icon, click Open

Now PhotoScape will be on your "Recommended Programs" list 

Select, and click "Change Program" or "OK" (whatever the button says)

Go back to the "Set Associations" window and select any other image files (e.g. "png")  and click "Change Program" for them, too.

Hope this works for you. PhotoScape is a great little free program! 

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the tips.   I kind of gave up on it but having this new info I'll give it another try.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

FWIW:  Not all programs are readily apparent when you use the drop down menu with "Open With"...you just need to scroll down to the appropriate .exe file. using the Choose Program option and select the .exe for the program that you want to use.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users