Realplayer collects personal information on you when you use Realplayer.
WHY DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
You must open an account or complete an online registration with RealNetworks to download or purchase RealNetworks products and services, including free trials. Information gathered during the registration or account creation process, or during access to particular products and services, may differ based on the nature of the product or service. Information that you provide when registering or creating an account, or accessing or using your account or the RN products or services associated with your account, may include: name and email address; billing information; information concerning software downloaded, products and content purchased, accessed, downloaded and/or burned through RN products or services (including, in the case of music products, tracks streamed, purchased or saved in libraries or playlists); location information (such as zip code or postal code and country); computer configuration (such as operating system, connection speed, and peripherals); the IP Internet (IP) address and URL of the Website that sent you to the RealNetworks registration page; the types of peripherals (including portable media players) used by RealNetworks products on your computer (to ensure that you have access to the latest fixes and patches for full compatibility with these devices); demographic information provided by you (such as language, gender and age, and, if applicable, content preferences and personalization information); and whether you logged into or out of a RealNetworks service, or changed your password or billing information.
We will not sell, rent or otherwise distribute your personally identifiable information to third parties without your consent, except as set forth below.
HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SECURE?
RealNetworks understands that it is a privilege to have you as a customer and is committed to protecting your personal information. We use the following controls to protect your personal information:
- Use of secure connections using SSL to safeguard information when transmitted from your Web browser to RealNetworks;
- Use of security controls to restrict access to databases housing personally identifying information;
- Use of encryption for sensitive personal information, such as credit card numbers and user names;
- Restrict employee access to databases containing personal information and impose confidentiality requirements upon employees who do; and
- Bind subcontractors with contractual, technical and organizational measures to protect your personal information.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
RealNetworks uses your personal information to:
- Deliver to you and and bill you for RealNetworks products and services, and communicate with you concerning your account and customer service issues. This may include verifying authorization of credit card usage before any purchase of premium content or services (e.g., for the purposes of access to a free trial, or to the Real Music Store);
- Verify access rights to premium content or other access-restricted services and software, including for the purpose of supporting digital rights management software;
- Improve our software and services by providing personalized content recommendations, language and location customization, and/or personalized help and instructions;
- Determine if you meet the minimum system requirements to use our products, and provide information concerning compatibility and interoperability to you;
- Track content accesses, downloads and burns for the purpose of paying royalties and license fees to third party providers, such as record labels and other copyright holders and content distributors;
- Ask you to participate in surveys about products, services, news and events;
- Offer you product upgrades, content, services and games for you to purchase;
- Provide you with content, services, instructions, and a more personalized experience based on personal information, such as your language preferences, zip/postal code, country locations, and any content or other preferences you provide;
- Auto-update downloaded RealNetworks products;
- Provide you with news, free newsletters, updates, targeted advertising, promotions, and special offers; and
- Better understand how our products are used, including Web traffic patterns and what types of content are most popular with users of our products and services.
WHEN AND HOW DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
RealNetworks does not use your personal information for purposes incompatible with those listed above. RealNetworks does not sell, rent, or share your personal information to a third party unless you consent to provide such information to a third party partner or content service.
RealNetworks may disclose relevant information about our customers to our contractors (e.g. a customer service contractor or a credit card clearing service) in order for them to provide specific services for RealNetworks, and to better serve our customers. RealNetworks' contractors are bound by strict contractual requirements to keep all personal information they process strictly confidential and to use such information solely on behalf of RealNetworks.
Also, RealNetworks may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law; (
comply with the order of a competent judicial authority in any jurisdiction; © comply with legal process served on RealNetworks; (d) protect and defend the rights or property of RealNetworks; or (e) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of RealNetworks products or the public at large.
RealNetworks Websites and products contain links to other Websites and products. RealNetworks is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Websites or products. Please visit the privacy policies of these third party sites in order to understand their privacy policies and data collection practices.
Obligatory or Optional Nature of the Requested Information
Some of the personal information collected by RealNetworks is necessary to provide you with the RealNetworks product or service you choose and to optimize the delivery of audio and video data to your computer. RealNetworks software may include the opportunity to disable certain software features to increase your level of privacy. However, certain technical information (e.g., zip code, product id, GUID) may be automatically transmitted between networked servers to authenticate access to products and services, enable their delivery, or optimize your media delivery experience.
E-MAIL FROM REALNETWORKS
Registering for a product or service allows you to tell us how or whether you want RealNetworks to communicate with you. Generally, we send e-mail to you about our products, content and special offers. Separate RealNetworks products, services and lines of business may send separate newsletters and marketing emails. During registration, you may opt out of receiving RealNetworks marketing e-mails and/or newsletters for the relevant product or service. Additionally, your online RealNetworks account, accessed through the "My Account" link on www.real.com, and through other links provided in emails and on RealNetworks Web pages, enables you to select whether you wish to receive newsletters, marketing and promotional emails, special offers and the like from various RealNetworks' business lines. However, we may continue to send you e-mail about products or services you have previously purchased (such as an available upgrade that you are entitled to receive), your account status or other information concerning functions, features and status of your RealNetworks products and services, or to inform you about critical technical service issues relating to a RealNetworks product or service.