Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to identify screws used inside HP PC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 okiewild

okiewild

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Theoretically there are two or three types of screws used in PCs: 6-32s, M3s and standoffs. I need to secure the internal DVD drive in a HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF PC. It was given to a family member by a relative who lives far across the country. Everything is perfect working order except the DVD drive is not secured. If you're familiar with HP DVD drives, they have a black screw installed on either side (looks like maybe a Torx head) where the head is only there to guide the drive through an L-shaped path during installation/removal. About 3/4 of an inch from each of these is another threaded hole in the DVD case. Anything inserted there will keep the drive locked in place during normal use. 

But this unit came without the locking screws. Online research (including the HP site) told me two things; the missing screws are likely M3s and HP provides spare fasteners for customers by inserting them in extra holes on the back of the case. This PC has no extra holes on the case, so I went to the hardware store and bought 6-32 and M3 screws. Both were too large to fit the hole for the locking screw. I got curious and removed the black screw being used as a guide. The threaded portion was visibly smaller than the M3 I had purchased. I tried putting the black "guide" screw in the locking screw hole and it fit just fine.

The obvious problem is that I need two more, maybe even some spares, but I don't know what type of screws these are. If I want to try M2.5 or M2 I'll have to mail order, and one will be a waste of money. Tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Take one of the screws to you local computer repair shop and see if they can match it with spares they have.

Or... take the DVD drive to your local hardware store and see if you can find a match.  Remember that these screws only need to be about a quarter of an inch long.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hey Arachibutyrophobia, that's a lot more efficient than paying for shipping! And they've probably got scads of spares laying around, if they're like most repair shops.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

I always look for the easiest and least expensive solutions. :thumbup2:

By the way, my user name is dc3. :whistle:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Oops!  Dc3 is certainly easier to type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users