Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Following a power outage, XP won't start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Albert07

Albert07

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hey guys. I have a problem that I don't think will be very hard to fix, but I need a little help.

There was a thunderstorm in my area today. My computer's plugged into a surge protector, but the outlets in this house aren't grounded. I safely removed the flash drive and card reader I had plugged in, and figured it would be safe for me to extract the archive I'd just transfered to the hard drive before shutting down. Bad call.

While 7-zip's doing its thing, the lights in the room briefly flickered off and on, and the CRT monitor went dark. I looked at the PC and saw its power light was still on, so I turned the monitor off and then back on, but the screen remained black. I then forced a shutdown by holding the PC's power button.

Restarting, I saw it wasn't the monitor that was the problem. This message came up:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

I selected the last of those choices. The Windows XP loading screen appeared, but after several seconds, the computer restarted and I ended up back at above screen. This happened again when I choose Last Known Good Configuration. I ran through the Safe Mode selections as well with almost the same result, only instead of the XP loading screen, a list of drivers was displayed as they loaded before the system restarted.

This computer's running XP (with Service Pack 3, I think) and I have the "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Operating System Disc" it came with. If I press F11 while the machine's booting, I'll be taken to a prompt to insert that disc, but it doesn't seem to give me any options besides a factory restore, something I obviously don't want to do without backing up everything first.

But I'm thinking the problem is just that a driver or other system file was corrupted. I'm not sure how to go about identifying and replacing a corupt driver when I can't start Windows, though. I'm looking around for info along those lines, but I appreciate any help or other suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:44 AM

You are probably blue screening. Right after the BIOS press the F8 key. It should take you to the advanced menu. Choose disable restart on system failure or something like that. Write down what the blue screen says and post it in your next reply.

And BTW, you should be doing daily backups of your data to a second physical disk or the cloud.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

I ran through the Safe Mode selections as well with almost the same result, only instead of the XP loading screen, a list of drivers was displayed as they loaded before the system restarted

Does this mean that you were able to boot into Safe Mode?

If you are able to boot into Safe Mode try using the System Restore to a day prior to this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Albert07

Albert07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

dc3, the computer fails to boot in Safe Mode. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

X, you're absolutely right, regular backups would've mitigated not only this problem, but a lot of other potential issues.

I disabled automatic restart in the BIOS and the computer indeed blue screened, with this message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED, 0x82CFB030, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Edited by Albert07, 10 July 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

It's time to do a repair installation.  This will not effect you data.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.  To access the BIOS start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below.  

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
   Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.   If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Albert07

Albert07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

OK, I went into the BIOS and made sure "First Boot Device" was set to "CDROM," then inserted the disc and rebooted. I got the message:

Boot from CD:

eMachines System Recovery

Press 'R' to display eMachines System Recovery options.

There's a countdown at the end. Pressing R gave me:

Press 'R' for standard eMachines System Recovery options.

You will boot into the recovery partition or on CD if no recovery partition is found.

Press 'Q' to quit and to boot the OS on hard disk.

A second press of R brought up a "Powered by PC Angel System Recovery" loading screen, then a screen laid out like this:

eMachines System Recovery

* Selecting Recovery Option
* Hard disk Preparation
* Copying Files
* Changing CD-Rom
* Finalizing Recovery
---------------------------
Time elapsed:
00:00
Time remaining:

It looks like "Hard disk Preparation" is highlighted. There's also a pop-up reading:

System Restore - Format and Recover

All files, including data files, on the user partition will be lost and the original factory-shipped files will be recovered to the user partition.

Do you want to continue?

OK

I couldn't seem to select anything (besides, presumably, "OK") so I powered down.

Some additional oddness is that if the countdown I mentioned is allowed to expire after booting, or if I boot without the disc inserted, the text "Press F11 to start recovery" will appear. Hitting F11 brings up the same "eMachines System Recovery" menu as the disc.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the disc eMachines provides missing functionality? Here's a picture of mine:

vptu.jpg

#7 Tmasjr

Tmasjr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

After the last screen, it's asking about partitions and gives two options. Is reads one is too full to reinstall windows. Any suggestions? I can type or text wha the screen looks like and what it exactly reads?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Look in the Device Management and post the capacity and free space of the C: drive.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:11 AM

When this kind of thing starts up in a bad way my self i just don't bother to much trying to repair windows, ill try but often when it self destructs in a bad way 9 times out of 10 its over.

In the time it takes to figure it out i can do a full reinstall and that's what i often do.

Cleaning house helps anyways in other ways and their was a time were id wipe/rebuild the windows drive once a month for my own system.

As well it helps to have windows on a 100% different drive then your data drive, lol my windows XP drive is still a 80gig P-IDE 5400 RPM FAT32, 5 HDD total and i could add more, im at like 2 TB total atm or something, ya i know my old server tower huge ;) with twin PSU.

If you dont want to wipe your drive with windows and its everything in their deal no partitions setup you can get a 80gig drive for like $5 used.

Making a image of the windows only drive helps too for speeding up things when windows dies.

As for window xp home, why bother ....thing so old now imho go download a copy of pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users