Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laser Mouse quit working ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JerryB52

JerryB52

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

I have a HP 2.4Ghz Wireless Laser Mobile Mouse that is barely a year old and it just stopped working.

I use this mouse with my Acer Aspire 7750-6423 laptop. Intel Core i5 2430M. Windows 7 Home Premium.

It was working fine till yesterday ?  I plugged it into my desktop computer and after loading the drivers, it wouldn't work there either.

I've installed new batteries in the mouse and have made sure the optical area is clean.

What would cause this?

Thanks,

Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

With all due respect to your icon, your mouse may have just upped and died - they do this from time to time !

The simplest test - since you say you have a desktop handy - is to take the mouse from that and see if it works on your laptop. If it does, and you have already said the laser mouse isn't working on your desktop, then, with deepest sympathy, your mouse has gone to a better place - it's time for a new one. Electronics fail from time to time, and it is impossible to forecast when solid state electronics are going to die on you.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

I had one of those wireless jobbies also... Quite happy with my $10 Microsoft mouse now. Much more reliable.

#4 JerryB52

JerryB52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but It's now working.

I did a clean install back to factory settings on the laptop, (it took hours) I like to do this every 6 to 9 months.

I then banged on the mouse a little in my hand and plugged in the USB. It works !!!!

Go figure.

Thanks for the advice,

Jerry

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

I like to bang those sort of 'mouses' a little with a hammer.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm glad it's sorted - I love problems like that, one of the reasons my hair has gone gray !

To pick up on something else - why on earth do you do a complete re-install every 6 to 9 months ?  Most of us regard that sort of procedure as a last ditch effort when all else has failed. Keeping your security up to date and cleaning out your temporary files every so often generally keeps computers running well. and as you say, it's a huge amount of work getting everything back the way you want it.

And as for TsVk! - I recommend a bigger hammer !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

To pick up on something else - why on earth do you do a complete re-install every 6 to 9 months ?  Most of us regard that sort of procedure as a last ditch effort when all else has failed. Keeping your security up to date and cleaning out your temporary files every so often generally keeps computers running well. and as you say, it's a huge amount of work getting everything back the way you want it.

I've always wondered this myself... I've had several machines run excellently for years that never had a re-installation, but finally died from hardware failure.

It's common enough practice though... :smash:

#8 JerryB52

JerryB52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

I think a friend of mine told me that he did this every so often to keep the machine cleaned up. That was 15 to 20 years ago.
But anyway, I have a lot of time on my hands lately (I'm laid-off from work) and it's kept me out of trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users