Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This MapleStory .exe a False Positive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sunsoft

Sunsoft

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

File downloaded from: Click to download

VirusTotal analysis [17/46]: VirusTotal report

I want to know if this is a false positive. Over 700 players access this game with this .exe file. I want to play the game very much, but the VT scan scares the hell out of me. Is it possible for experts to scan the code to determine if this is a false positive or something?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Mcafee reports it to the computer user as a type of Artemis Trojan. This means that your virus protection is already on the case, trying to keep your PC safe and healthy. A lot of these threats are simply false positives, and a good percentage of the alerts are flagging perfectly safe programs and files.
You can submit that file to your AV product to see what they say.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Sunsoft

Sunsoft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thank you for replying. I'm using Avast (free), and Avast did not detect anything.

I am sending it to a few AVs that detected it to see what they say.

#4 Sunsoft

Sunsoft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

Update: Symantec has verified that this file is a false positive and will remove the detection in the next update.

I have also sent the file to 3 other AV providers, pending their response. But is it safe to say that this file is most likely a false positive since Symantec has verified that this is a false positive on their end?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the updates.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users