Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Patch Causes Problems With Hp & Kerio Software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:14 AM

A "critical" Windows patch can cause trouble on computers that run certain Hewlett-Packard photo-sharing software or the Kerio firewall...The problems occur because HP's "share-to-Web" software and the Kerio firewall interfere with a new file, verclsid.exe, delivered by the security update...

news.com

More problems reported here.

Windows users running the Google Toolbar are also reporting an access violation error when a window containing an inactive ActiveX control is closed.

Edited by quietman7, 18 April 2006 - 09:07 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:41 AM

See the MS support bulletin listing, in addition to the Hewlett-Packard software and the Kerio firewall problem, some other symptoms caused by the Windows shell security patch:

• Unable to access special folders like "My Documents" or "My Pictures".
• Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the "My Documents" folder.
• Office files in the "My Documents" folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office.
• Opening a file through an application's File / Open menu causes the program to stop responding .
• Typing an address into Internet Explorer’s address bar has no effect.
• Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect.
• Clicking on the plus (+) sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect.
• Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the “My Documents” folder.

Article ID:918165, Apr 15. Revision 1.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

The same article has a registry entry to fix the HP problem.

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 18 April 2006 - 09:42 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:30 PM

...If the registry becomes corrupted or is improperly edited, the affected PC may not boot into Windows.

securitypipeline.com

I would NOT recommend users to do the workaround unless they have a strong knowledge and understanding of working with the Window's registry and backup first.

#4 Security Geek

Security Geek

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:00 AM

They've also reported problems with NVIDIA video drivers. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know what NVIDIA drivers and versions are affected?

MS also made changes to how ActiveX behaves, has anyone had any problems with this? Especially at major sites such as your bank's.

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:49 AM

MS also made changes to how ActiveX behaves, has anyone had any problems with this? Especially at major sites such as your bank's.

The problem only occurs when you are using IE. I use Firefox, so no trouble here. :thumbsup:

More reading on MS, ActiveX, and patent suit here.

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

Kellys-korner has a .vbs file that should fix the HP Share-to-web problem for WinXP. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm #383 right hand side.

It impliments the registry changes called out in Article ID:918165, Apr 15. Revision 1.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165
Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

MS to re-release MS06-015 patch
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-015.mspx

Bulletin revised: FAQ Section updated to include information about an upcoming re-release of the security update."

Microsoft has completed its initial investigation into issues involving old third party software that customers may have experienced after the installation of this security update. On Tuesday, April 25, Microsoft will issue a targeted re-release of the MS06-015 update.

For customers who have already applied the update and are experiencing the problem related to the older Hewlett Packard Share-to-Web software, or older NVIDIA drivers prior to or including version 61.94, the revised update will be available through Windows Update and Microsoft Update. The targeted re-release will be automatically delivered to affected computers through Automatic Update if it has been enabled The re-release will not be distributed to non-affected computers.

Edited by quietman7, 21 April 2006 - 01:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users