See the MS support bulletin listing, in addition to the Hewlett-Packard software and the Kerio firewall problem, some other symptoms
caused by the Windows shell security patch:
• Unable to access special folders like "My Documents" or "My Pictures".
• Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the "My Documents" folder.
• Office files in the "My Documents" folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office.
• Opening a file through an application's File / Open menu causes the program to stop responding .
• Typing an address into Internet Explorer’s address bar has no effect.
• Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect.
• Clicking on the plus (+) sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect.
• Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the “My Documents” folder.
Article ID:918165, Apr 15. Revision 1.0http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165
The same article has a registry entry to fix the HP problem.
Edited by jgweed, 18 April 2006 - 09:42 AM.