Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not start XP in Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SDblue

SDblue

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hello everyone. First time posting here. I have a major issue here which I'm pretty sure is unique. The computer not starting in Normal mode is just one of many symptoms. First before describing the problem, a little back story that may help I posted on another site. 

Background:
This is for a computer running Windows XP SP 3

This is kind of silly but maybe this will illustrate what I'm dealing with. My mother's business computer was giving her problems with the software out of no where. She has Norton 360 on this computer and it was working just fine, but supposedly quarantined some of her programs. Later on she clicked something like "download AOL 10.0". This thing screwed up her computer. Now here is where things get dicey:

She called some company to help her fix it, because it popped up with a "tech support" suggestion. I'm pretty sure it is from urtechies.com or an alleged Aol affiliate and they charged her $250 to fix this new issue.

They dialed into her computer at some point and had her on the phone. I already think this is a scam, but she recently told me they had her on the phone, while dialed in, and made her type in her AOL password to make sure stuff worked. This of course set off alarm bells. The computer doesn't work as well as it did a week ago. 

At the end of the day, the computer is experiencing various problems.

-Malware Bytes crashes when I run it from a flash drive. I can not open Chrome, IE just started working. 

-The computer can only be started in safe mode. Trying to let it boot normally, it gets stuck on the splash screen.  Booting from Last Known Config is also a crash. 

-Norton will do a full scan but takes forever to start, sometimes won't even run. Norton Recovery will not run. 

-I can not run System Restore. I get a "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and run System Restore again." dialogue box. 

-If I try to right click and run it as an admin I get an error box saying the service can not be run in Safe Mode

-I can't load services.msc without an eventual crash of the computer, or sometimes Microsoft Management Console (which crashes with malware bytes too).  

-trying to launch System Restore through msconfig gives me the same error as doing it through Start Menu. Trying to change the start up services I get an error that I am denied access

Stuff I've done to fix some symptoms: 

1.) IE works a bit on this computer. I was able to download Malware Bytes and it is currently running but hasn't found anything in 1 hour, 15 minutes. 

2.) I've got System Restore to work partially. When I load it there are no restore points. I can't access System Restore settings either. The fix I used must be done every time I re-log into an account. 

I hope this isn't too confusing and I tried to be extremely thorough. I have no clue what these people did to her computer so I'm just going off primarily what I've gotten down to in the last few hours. Thank you all in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disc for this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Possibly related topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500648/cant-view-folders-starting-with-c/#entry3100457 ,

Louis

#4 SDblue

SDblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

thanks for the help guys. The technician from her software company showed up to fix it and it turns out there was some hard drive corruption. 

I did find an install disc but was waiting for the last moment to wipe out everything. Seems to be fine for now. 

Also its a Dell Dimension 8250 if I recall correctly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users