Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Anyone know if there is any good laptop theft software out there?

I want the ability to lock, track, and locate my laptop in case it's stolen or lost.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

I know people who have gotten their laptops back by using LoJack for Laptops. If you prefer an open source application, there is http://preyproject.com/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

I use cable locks myself when I travel for work or pleasure.

LoJack, or Computrace as I knew it, does come on a lot of new laptop systems with built in BIOS/Chip support. Although this can be a good thing it also has some down sides. It acts like a rootkit that's already in your system to ensure it can't be removed or disabled, once activated.

However when I sent my Asus laptop in for repair it came back with a re-issued/refurbished motherboard that had already had the LoJack feature activated. It took me a while to figure out what happened and what was running in the background without my knowledge. When I tried to get it removed or deactivated I was left with waiting for a new MB or sending it to Absolute for study and fixing, each option was going to take weeks to months before I would get my laptop back. (Remote uninstall/deactivate wasn't working and Asus CA didn't have any parts for my system which was why I got the refurb to start with.)

Just do a search for "how to remove lojack from bios" and you'll see enough info on this to decide one way or the other.

Just my .02...

I was able to learn how to disable the software in Windows just by making a few read-only files. If you use Linux, or the person who takes the laptop doesn't use Windows, LoJack won't work. What I worry about is the hole this vendor installed chip leaves on our laptops that has been demonstrated as being vulnerable to highjacking and hacker abuse.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the education Zen Seeker. This is a whole different aspect I had not considered or was aware of. Thanks for adding that information.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users