Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite Recovery

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 leachim

leachim

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

I have this laptop with 3 Partitions

The main partition got corrupted and apparently wiped so all windows folders have been deleted and a low level format carried out

I still have the recovery sector

Just wondering how to reinstall it back onto the main partition

I tried F8 and it took me to a screen to choose language but after that it said "You must log in to access system recovery options"

I guess user data has been wiped from the main partition ?

Are there any other keys to press on startup to access the Recovery partition ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Look at the boot screen when you start the computer up - that's the one with the Toshiba logo all over it - and you should see commands like 'Press 'Del' for BIOS' and 'Press 'F8' for boot choices'. There will be one for 'Recovery' if you have a recovery partition. It is sometimes 'F2' but by no means always.

Press whichever is the specified key while the boot screen is showing and the recovery system should start, and once you have made one or two choices via dialogue boxes it will just run until it is completed.

TWO POINTS. The first is that this process will wipe all your own data and applications off the system. I would suggest that you take the hard drive out and slave it to another computer - you may need to use some sort of 'caddy' but they are widely available - to try and save what you can of your own data.

The second is that this process will restore your computer to the condition it was in when it was built !  This means you will have to uninstall any manufacturer installed software that you don't want, and that you will have to re-install all your own appications, and you will have all the updates to do since it was built !

The important bit here, if you decide to go down this route, is to try and back-up your own data - documents, photos, whatever - this is the valuable stuff. You say a 'low-level format has been carried out'. This may mean that your data is already gone, but see if you can still save any of it.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hi

Generally, Toshiba recovery program can be started by following the below steps.

- Power off the laptop.

- Press and hold the zero key and power on the system.

If that didn't works, please post the exact model number of your laptop. Also please note that, recovery may probably remove all the data on the disk. On some models there is an option to re-install the OS without removing data but you have to start the recovery manager to check whether that option is available in your model.

#4 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Sadly no joy - holding ZERO doesnt work

What I have done is install a copy of Wins 7 Prem from an iso from digitalriver

Wouldnt recognize the key on the laptop sticker though

Seems to work ok, but am concerned about activation - have had no warnings about so many days left.....

The recovery sector is still on the HDD from previous instalation but I can't access it on startup - this would be my preference

#5 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Maybe using F12;

"

IMPORTANT: The recovery process deletes information stored on the internal storage drive. Be sure to save your work to external media before executing the recovery.

1. Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
  4. On machines with the F key numbers on the top edge of the keys and in White:
    • Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and power up the laptop.
    • Release the 0 (zero) key when the recovery warning screen appears.
    On machines with the F key numbers on the bottom edge of the keys and in Gray:
    • Power up the laptop.
    • When the initial TOSHIBA screen displays, press the F12 key to enter the boot menu.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the HDD Recovery option and press the enter key to begin.
  5. The TOSHIBA recovery wizard warning screen appears stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and the original factory software image will be rewritten. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. After you are sure you have everything you want from the laptop saved, click Yes.
  7. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens, the default and recommended option is "Recovery of Factory Default Software".
  8. After selecting your desired recovery method, select Next.
  9. On the next screen you may have recovery method options. The default and recommended method is to Recover to Out of Box state.
  10. Select next to continue.
  11. Follow the on screen instructions as you navigate through the system recovery steps.
  12. The laptop will restart multiple times and install the needed components."

from;

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/How-To-Perform-system-recovery-Windows-7/ta-p/279643

I did a "factory restore" on a sattelite last month, I think I used F12.

#6 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for that

Have tried both

In F12 there is no HDD recovery......

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hi

Can you please post a screen shot of the disk management screen of your system ?

:step1: Open RUN dialogue by pressing Windows key + R together.  Enter diskmgmt.msc in the RUN dialogue to open the disk management window.

:step2: Maximize the window and use the snipping tool to capture a snapshot.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screen-shots

Post the screenshot in next reply.

#8 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

OK - here it isAttached File  Capture.JPG   79.52KB   3 downloads

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hi

Unfortunately there are no recovery partition is in your system and that is why the zero key is not working. The first 400 MB is a boot partition only. Now i can only suggest contacting Toshiba support and ordering a recovery DVD set.

#10 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

Having said that, the Data partition D: does have a directory called HDD Recovery about 6.5Gb......

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi

I never saw a recovery partition in 200 + GB in size. Usually recovery partitions will b labeled as Recovery or something similar with size around 10 to 20 GB. Did you used any partitioning tool to modify the original partitioning structure ? . 

#12 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Attached File  Capture2.JPG   92.83KB   4 downloads

Here is a screenshot of the D: drive

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

As a last possible chance before spending more money at Toshiba or going out and buying a Windows install disc, why don't you try entering that folder 'HDD Recovery' and see if there is a file in there called 'install' or 'set-up' or something like that and running it. I would say at this point you have nothing to lose by trying this. The only thing, if it does work, you will have all the updates to do since Adam was a lad. I think the last time I did this, the final tally of Windows updates was something over 200 - and that was just for Windows.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users