Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidently Deleted makhkdll.dll using SuperAntispyware? Good or Bad?!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hi and thanks for all your help! I was running SuperAntispyware on my HP XPSP3 computer. I scan the PC and it completes. It finds some infected items. Six items I care nothing about bc they were on the nonbooting hard drive that has old files on it. I may have deleted them anyway, but it didn't matter. However, one of the files was C:/Windows/makhkdll.dll. I wouldn't have deleted the file without a confirmation, but--while I was fidgeting with my problematic android phone--a funny thing happened. I thought I was only deleting one of the other 6 files, but to my surprise all of them deleted. I gives me the option to reboot, but I haven't even dared reboot yet due to concern. Could this be a big problem, a small one, or is this a trojan as Superantispyware and some other sites hint at? The file seems to be linked directly to HP and makhkey.exe somehow. Did I get lucky? If it is negative, what can I do now? I have no discs. Please help! Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

makhkdll.dll seems to be a part of MAKTray HP application.

I can't find much info what that program does but since it's not Windows file you shouldn't have any booting issue.

Is it HP computer?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for your reply and Yep, it is(HP). You know, the only information that I could find was--and it was 2 google pages plus the scanner--tells me that it was a trojan. That doesn't seem right, though. If I should encounter some major issue, would hp recovery(pc allows pressing F11 at boot) or reinstalling a conflicting program help me?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

I doubt you'll get into any trouble but if....post back here.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for your reply and Yep, it is(HP). You know, the only information that I could find was--and it was 2 google pages plus the scanner--tells me that it was a trojan. That doesn't seem right, though. If I should encounter some major issue, would hp recovery(pc allows pressing F11 at boot) or reinstalling a conflicting program help me?

I suggest search your HP CD's for "makhkdll.dll" that you have for whatever HP products, and then copy it to C:/Windows/

Automatic deletion of false positives is a real issue with many of the scanners available.
File details of most used file with name "makhkdll.dll" http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/makhkdll-dll
Product: (Empty Value)
Company: (Empty Value)
Description: (Empty Value)
Version: (Empty Value)
MD5: 4cf4e2e77632dd6fbc6cd58aa4eb947e
SHA1: 04773aa9559b924dd92e5bf27565b863eb4f32c8
SHA256: 91bd85bed475c19d8528c8b81d15f5747c6184d4da25876b6b5f9844519e8146
Size: 24576
Directory: C:\Windows
Operating System: Windows XP
Discovered: January 20, 2012
Occurence: Low

http://www.isthisfilesafe.com/sha1/04773AA9559B924DD92E5BF27565B863EB4F32C8_details.aspx
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e45845fc5c8b322aed73bb0f7aa047c39d8ff9ba71e821ec68610db49030d0e6/analysis/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#6 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hi, thanks again for helping me. The makhkey program has something to do with HP keyboard usage--it was in the system tray and I clicked on it and keyboard options were displayed. Plus, there was a makhkey.exe could not be run/makhkdll.dll not found error at the start of Windows startup. Also, my guess is that at some point after 2001(1st PC had no software support for HP recovery), bc the 2005 model that I have now does have it. At opening screen, I press F11 and I can use HP Recovery. I used it on the PC that we speak of, bc--when I got it--it was malfunctioning and would not boot or backup files! It had been working right without problem until this problem. On the internet, I don't have true internet access. I can only download from about 70-75% of download sites(not all are compatible--most of these will download the html website instead of the actual file). Third party sites cannot send me data--as happens when setting up some programs or updating all programs. Paying software should give you this option in the future; now, there's a beta opportunity if I ever did see one. Anyway, that's what I'm working with.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Did you go to HP site to see if they have some keyboard download?

My Website

#8 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Thank you so very much! I can view the page with my file in it for "Modular Access Keyboard"(sp30562.exe), but it will not allow me to download it. I'm redirected to an almost blank special permissions page informing me that--in so many words--I can't use it. I don't think HP used to require log-ins or registering to download from their site, but I could be mistaken--as it has been a few years. Maybe it has to do with smartphone incompatibility(only web access that I currently have). If it is smartphone incompatibility(either with android or with the DownloadAllFiles app), it is unique to HP. Because, I never get that kind of permissions problem when downloading on any other site. Hopefully, I can use the smartphone to download(which I have tried) it, bc all sites offering the file lead back to HP--returning the same message and presenting the same problem. Maybe HP support--don't know how easy or hard they are to access with a system older than 5 years old--can specifically deal with it.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Why are you actually not using your computer to download the file?

Uploaded it for you here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/fwkuzm (6.18MB)

My Website

#10 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

I have to use the phone bc I don't have true internet access. Like I said earlier, I go through the phone to get files and view pages. No one can upload data to me; it only works if I download files between phone and PC. So, if I download a file that requires that data be uploaded from the web, then I'm just out of luck. It will not do it; the uploading(that allows companies to send me files when I'm setting up a program) system--as far as I know--does not exist at a smartphone to major computer company level.

I tried to use that, but everytime I tried to download something it was not nearly the size of the file(one was measured in KBs(28) and the other was a "livid" file).

What I did was--I put another download manager on the phone and--though it wasn't as automatic as the old one--it worked directly from HP. I got the file(sp30562.exe) directly. Now, in the morning, I'm going to put it on the PC and see if the file works. Thanks again.

#11 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, it worked. It installed correctly; it asked me to reboot; and, afterwards, the 2 error messages were gone. If a person without internet access needs a downloader and they have a smartphone, then use a "SAFE" downloader(plus a compatible data cable connected to the PC and phone) that is compatible with the file you want. I use 2: DownloadAllFiles and ADM(Advanced Download Manager) from a trusted "SAFE" site. The latter maybe the only one you need; Reviews give it high marks for being compatible with download sites. It is said that ADM is not compatible with youtube. MediaClip does(youtube). However, you have gauge the data of your phone's data plan to not get an overage; plus, companies cannot upload to you. Therefore, all updates have to be manual(offline)--if that is even possible--or all setup files requiring a company to upload to you are useless(they likely will not complete). This was the case with Microsoft .NET 4.0. I needed that file for another program that I wanted to use, but no dice! I was out of luck and there will be others that require uploading. Most probably do not. I have encountered this with 2 or 3 out of about 30 programs. INTERNET IS BEST, BUT--IF YOU CANNOT GET IT OR CONNECT OR CAN'T GET TO A CONNECTED PC--THEN YOU MAY HAVE NO OTHER OPTION BUT TO USE YOUR SMARTPHONE. The MAKHK program was 1. DOWNLOADED from the HP site(SP30562.exe) to my smartphone(of course--optional) with the ADM(see above) app. 2. Then, I used a compatible data cable to connect PC and phone. 3. You may hear a special confirmation and then you may not; when data usage menu comes up, I hit OK with my finger. 4. DO NOT EXIT(WITH YOUR FINGER) UNTIL YOU HAVE OPENED THE FOLDER; COPIED THE FILE; PASTED THE FILE TO YOUR HD; EXECUTED THE FILE COMPLETELY; DELETED ALL FILES THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO KEEP(may have bearing on data or something else); AND EXITED THE OPENED FOLDER. 5. WHEN ALL THIS IS DONE, EXIT OUT WITH YOUR FINGER ON THE PHONE FIRST AND DISCONNECT CABLE. You may once again hear the confirmation sound. This was a HP DC5100 2005 PC RUNNING XP PRO for a driver for the keyboard that came with that system.

Thanks for you help and thanks--Broni--for your dedicative service. You pointed me in the direction that I should go and all I had to do "was drive there"!

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

You're very welcome p22002759.gif

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users