Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is There Freeware?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:22 AM

Theres no such thing as a free lunch. Rite?!

Something ive always wondered, why do people develop free software like AVG, spyblaster ah,, cant go into it theres tonnes of them in all areas, but why? what benefit is in it for them??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:11 AM

hi snyper. I guess there is freeware because out of some of the people that try it they are bound to get some donations or people will buy the full version.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:23 AM

Why does the Red Cross help disaster victims? There are richer benefits than just monetary.

#4 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:30 AM

Why does the Red Cross help disaster victims? There are richer benefits than just monetary.

True..
Also, the fact that more people will download a program if it is free. Therefore, the company will recieve a lot of publicity, and people who think that it is a reasonable program will tell their friends, who in turn will download it. Although not everyone will donate money to the company, some will, and this is where many companies, both small and large, are funded. This allows for them to expand, and their products improve, to an extent that they are able to make people pay for them. They will still keep the freeware versions, but will also offer programs that you have to pay for.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 snyper

snyper
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:04 AM

Yes but there is such an abundance of them out there that i doubt that they are all offered out of self gratification...but i do take and agree with what you say in part..

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

Making freeware has it's benefits too.

Openoffice.org for example is freeware (under the GNU Public License), and they may be free just to hurt MS Office market share.

So by making freeware you can also hurt your competitors who actually pay for alternative programs.

#7 snyper

snyper
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

Openoffice.org for example is freeware (under the GNU Public License), and they may be free just to hurt MS Office market share

Ah , yes i see.. that makes sence.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

Open source projects work from a different perspective than do commercial companies who offer free versions of their products. The latter do so for many reasons: notoriety and good press or word-of-mouth, selling upgrades, beta testing. Open source projects are created both to satisfy a belief in a better way (collaborative independent work) to develope code and products, as well as a philosophy that such works should be freely available to use, modify, or enhance. Take for example, the mission statement of OO.o:

" To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format."

http://about.openoffice.org/index.html#mission

Consider the implications of the words I have emphasized, that could as easily reflect the Mozilla folks as well.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 snyper

snyper
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:26 AM

Thanks john. Sounds like the definitive ans to me!

Cheers

Brian

#10 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

Just thought I'd give some terms for you guys to google: Free Software Foundation, Richard Stahlman, Linus Torvalds, Larry Wall

There's more, but google those and you should get a reasonable introduction.

#11 snyper

snyper
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:23 AM

Thanks Banditflyer.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users