Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you read the Event Viewer to see all actions between a certain time?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 missjewelzb35

missjewelzb35

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

I am not very computer literate, but someone used my computer without my knowledge in a 4 hour period; how can I use the Event Viewer to see which programs and files were accessed and if anything was connected to another computer on my network?

It's a new desktop running Win 8

It is connected to our home network via Wi-Fi, and my husband's laptop is connected to our Comcast service through the router, and is the main computer, but they are not remotely connected, I don't believe.

I haven't erased anything, so all of the data should still be there, right?

Any help would be great because navigating through the event viewer is easy, it's understanding  it that is proving difficult...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Although you mention you are not computer literate at least you want your computer to be safe and in order.

--- I do not have Windows 8 so all I can do is provide some ideas

--- However I recommend you run your security programs first before moving on

Following is a summary of your concerns and questions

--- Navigating through the event viewer is easy but understanding it is proving difficult

--- Find out which programs and files were accessed

--- Was anything connected to another computer on your network?

--- You haven't erased anything so all of the data should still be there

Although your question focuses on using Even Viewer I think it would be a good idea to work out a couple of simpler items first that I suspect you don’t need Event Viewer for especially since it will take some time to get to understand how to use Event Viewer

Since you haven't erased anything, the data within the time frame you are interested in should still be there

On finding out which programs and files were accessed

--- Check out Microsoft: How To Search On Windows 8 – File Search, Settings Search, App Search http://windows7themes.net/microsoft-how-to-search-on-windows-8-file-search-settings-search-app-search.html

--- If you a file you do not recognize, right click and select Properties. Look at its origination & last accessed date.

--- Go back to the list and see if you can open that file.

------ If it opens see if you can relate to it

------ If it doesn’t open, it could be a file that was used by that person from whatever source they used, probably a thumb drive, maybe a CD. You will have to evaluate it according to how you perceive it

We can move on from there after you check this out

#3 missjewelzb35

missjewelzb35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

thanks!! By the time I got this reply though, I had run Norton's full system scan because of something, And it erased it... But it helps for next time!!

You don't happen to know anything about Skydrive and how the Sharing works with system files, do you???

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for letting us know your problem has been solved

Unfortunately I do not know how to use Skydrive and Sharing works with system files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users