Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hard drive not accessible

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 traumarn2

traumarn2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

I had a laptop quit working but the hard drive seemed okay so I purchased an enclosure.  the first time I plugged it in everything worked fine; I thought I had a great new external drive.  Now when I plug it in I can feel it running and the light comes on; however when I look at my computer it shows it as a local drive and when I try to access it I am told that it is not accessible.  I know this sounds similar to many other complaints however they were all with windows 7.  The only computer that I have is in windows 8 but the external hard drive did function off of windows 7.  Is there any way to get the information off of the drive?

Thank you for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Sometimes the problem is the external enclosure's circuitry.

In order to test for this, hook the drive directly up to a SATA connector on the motherboard and power of course. If it's working fine now, something must be wrong with the external enclosure. (Or the way it was installed in the external enclosure).

Also note that it is not at all rare for this problem to occur. I've run across it several times in the last couple of years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users