Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

try & install players/downloaders but they wont work?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fastnigel

fastnigel

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

hello,

i have tried & downloaded a few players/video downloaders to save my favorite videos off youtube etc but they are not working.
example, tried to instal RealPlayer & downloaded the installer clicked install & it flicks up "installing" then dissapears! & doesnt install at all!!!
same with Xvideoservicethief actaully got that installed but when i go & open it it flicks up then dissapears!!!
almost as if something is blocking them...
had a strange hunch the other day when it said i was using a ad-blocker??? now i dont take no notice of ads so i definately havent installed anything to block them!!!
also on some sites when a video appears (JW player was one i think...) & u click play it just endlessly circles loading but never plays...&the internet connection is A+!!!!!!!

had a few little issues lately... & im no rocket scientist when it comes to computers but surely this stuff shoudlnt being this should they??

any help would be appreciated, thanks you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

Are you using Chrome? If so, Google will not allow any video downloaders to work on Chrome. Try it on Firefox.

#3 fastnigel

fastnigel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

thanks,

not using Chrome, using IE9. but do have latest Mozilla installed. just got used to IE i suppose... so u reckon Mozilla is better??

now about this download - http://mysoftshop.com/nulloy-music-player-0-5-0-3-alpha/   how can i be 100% sure this isnt infected?? remember this has to download only using a url & not visiting the actual page.

thanks.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

It's the same problem with IE. Use Firefox for this. 

#5 fastnigel

fastnigel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

thanks frankp316,

excuse my ignorance but u mean Firefox for the link provided by visoin55 or use Firefox for all video download software etc?

Thnaks.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

Use this link to download Firefox. 

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

#7 fastnigel

fastnigel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

thanks frankp316,

already got Mozilla installed but just got comfortable using IE. will switch to Mozilla & have a play around, i see what u mean with right clinking on the video u are watching & u can download it no worries, nut what i was really after was a separate video downloader that only needs a url, downloads without even going to the site/page... maybe im asking too much........

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

I only use Firefox for downloading the occasional video. I normally use Chrome. I prefer Real Player's downloader because it will download a video from any site and a lot of other downloaders only work for viral video sites like Youtube. The kind of downloader you are talking about normally only works for viral video sites.

#9 Eiry

Eiry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

I use Firefox and I've used Real Player Downloader for a long time, but I now suddenly can't get it to work. I've tried many ways of fixing this according to what has been recommended (not here) without success. There seem to be various theories as to why - ie. there's a general business desire to block downloading of videos anywhere. Youtube can be downloaded (I use YTD which is fine) at the cost of having to watch nauseating ads, but everywhere else it seems impossible. And I don't mean virus-laden dodgy videos. I download plenty with a 'reasonable' likelihood of not being attacked.

To frankp316, does your downloader still work? Real downloader only seems to have become defunct in recent days.

I've not had any success with Downloademall either. It used to work fine.

Nothing worked as well as efficiently and reliably as Realdownloader - and I miss it! I've even wondered about buying the proper one (whatever it's called) even though I can't really afford it - and would that actually work?!

So, does anyone know of any other Video downloader that might work? :( Or any other suggestions? [like - get a life?] ;)

Eiry

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

It worked last time I used it about a month ago. I will probably have to use it again in a couple of weeks but I don't think it will be from a viral video site.

#11 fastnigel

fastnigel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

clipconvertor was by far the best!! but that stopped working a couple of weeks ago too!!! pain in the ass.

well when i say it stopped working, it just changed how it did it... instead of downloading thru its own servers or page it changed & when u clicked download it "redirects" u to the video page!!!

anyone else found that issue???

#12 Eiry

Eiry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

I may be being paranoid here, but it seems suddenly as if a lot of things have changed all at once this summer.... Youtube/Ad Block/Flash/Norton etc. Now Real Player. There may not even be a villain, just lack of communicating what's going on - assuming anyone really knows....? These divisions of digital services that have no apparent connection with each other have been going on for so many years - but they do seem to have reached a high level of chaos.

I have found what might be a limited solution which is an addition to the DownloadItAll software on Firefox that I didn't know about. It is an Add-on to the DownloadItAll Add-on I think! It's DownloadHelper. It seems to work.......

I'll be interested to see if frankp316's RealDownloader works. I'll be wanting your secret if it does. ;)

Ah. Well, one less video downloader to try then fastnigel!

#13 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

This link may explain some of the problems.

http://torrentfreak.com/hbo-asks-google-to-take-down-infringing-vlc-media-player-130715/

Edited by GB2064, 15 July 2013 - 10:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users