Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Settings Not Showing Up In View Menu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gwynaveir

gwynaveir

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:43 AM

I was trying to do the tutorial on Partitioning and Formatting hardrives and realised that what was showing up on my screen was different than the screenshot the person had provided. While I did have the list of drives on my computer, I didn't have the area telling me where my space was allocated and what space I had left to allocate. I thought that perhaps it was because my boyfriend had formatted it and that I needed to reformat it with a smaller allocated space to allow free space to show up for me to partition. So I reformatted with a couple of different allocation spaces and it didn't make a difference. I went into "Help" and it told me that in order to change the displays shown in Disk Management to go into Computer Managment (Local) and then go into "Settings" on the View Menu, but when I went there there was no "Settings", only "Add/Remove Columns" and "Customize", neither of which had anything that the help topics were talking about.

I'm at a loss as to what to do :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:08 AM

This should help:

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP

This article describes how to partition and format a hard disk with Microsoft Windows XP. Learn about your partitioning and formatting options, what to consider before you partition or format your hard disk, and how to partition and format your hard disk. Additionally, this article contains links to resources that can help you troubleshoot if problems occur.
Back to the top

INTRODUCTION
This step-by-step article describes how to partition and format a hard disk with Windows XP.

Before you can install an operating system, you must first create a primary partition on the first physical hard disk (Disk 0) on your computer, and then format a file system on that partition. This partition is named the System partition. Alternatively, you can create a separate partition for the operating system on any physical hard disk. This is named the startup partition. The System partition on Disk 0 can also be used as a startup partition

MORE INFORMATION at the following Microsoft link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348/en-us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users