Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't power up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 omgtuxca

omgtuxca

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

i came home to my computer one day, which i usually leave on in sleep mode, and it was completely turned off. i tried to turn it on to no avail. i checked all connections and whatnot, still nothing. no sounds, no fans, etc. however, the light on the mobo and power supply still lit up. before really thinking about it, i ordered a new power supply, thinking that it MUST be the culprit. after receiving and hooking up my new psu, still nothing. there is a yellowish orange light on my mobo that dims a little when i press the power button, but nothing other than that.

tl;dr computer wont power up, no sounds, no fans on, leds on mobo and psu work though. psu replaced: still nothing.

i think the problem might be the motherboard... seeing as no bios or start up happens and the computer itself doesnt even power up.

does this sound like the problem? if not, what could be the problem? & any ideas for maybe salvaging my mobo? i will replace if needed, but i really don't want to.

mobo: foxconn dg33m03

psu: stock lite on 350w psu/ new diablotek 450w psu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 admiralawesome

admiralawesome

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

After hearing that you already replaced the power supply. sounds like it may be the mobo. Only other fix I can think of would be to try a different power outlet, as maybe the one the PC is currently plugged into may not be supplying proper power.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

Well, first rule is don't buy a Diablotek PSU to test whether your old PSU is defective.  Diablotek is not one of the more reliable brands <cough>garbage<cough>.

First thing on that vintage of OEM Foxconn is to check for bulged or blown capacitors.  Start looking around the CPU socket and work outward.

Replacement boards run $60-90US on Ebay.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 omgtuxca

omgtuxca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

thanks guys, i already cut my losses and bought a new mobo off of amazon for 80 bucks. i tested both psus with a jumper connected to the green and black, and both powered up and such, so it must be the mobo. and yes, i was looking for cheap, but usable: lasting a year or 2 is fine with me, seeing as it was just a tester, and it has a warranty and money back guarantee. but now that i know its not the psu, ill probably just return it and stick with my stock 350w lite on psu

& if i found any blown capacitors, is it fixable or just replaceable after that? lol

Edited by omgtuxca, 09 July 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

That board may make a liar out of me as most of the VREG caps are polymers, which tend to be a bit more robust than electrolytics.  Even then, off brand polymers cause problems.

Examine all of the electrolytics (silver aluminum tops w colored sides) around the CPU and mem slots.  The polymers are all aluminum.

You can get individual caps and solder them on fairly easily.  Mouser and Digikey are the two big retailers for that stuff.  A cheap soldering iron is necessary, and a desolder tool makes life easier.  Newegg puts a toolkit on special for $19.99 every so often that has a soldering iron and a vac desolder tool among it's components.  Useful kit.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users