Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Proublems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Asus8

Asus8

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

I have a HP-1220 with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.  Recently somehow the hard drive got corrupt.  When I went to try to recover the data from the recovery partition that was also corrupt too.  So I formatted the entire hard drive and went to reinstall the os and kept getting errors about files being missing or "a recent hardware or software change has caused windows to not start".  I am using a Dell oem disk but I was told that it should at least work.  So I put a spare hard drive with xp in and it worked fine.  At this point I think it may be the hard drive but not completely sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.      

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi,

Have you run any diagnostic routines, or even CHKDSK /R, to see how the drive responds?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Asus8

Asus8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

I can not boot to windows.  After some research and running the S.M.A.R.T test it said my hard drive is corrupt and needs replaced.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Depending on how you feel about XP, you might be as well sticking with it for the time being. I think it is highly unlikely that your Dell OEM disc will work properly on an HP computer. The Win 7 part of it may well install, but you won't have any of the driver software for the HP. Even if you can get Windows to install, you will still be left looking for all the neccesary drivers from HP - things like audio, video and so on.

One way round this problem would be to go to the HP web-site now, while you have the computer running on XP, and download all their drivers for your model - HP-1220 - for Win 7 64 and save them to a memory stick. Then you would have the drivers to hand when you go to install Win 7 either on that hard drive, the one with XP on it, or on a new HDD. As you had Win 7 on the computer before, you should have an authentication code for it. if you can borrow a standard Win 7 64 bit installation disc you should be able to re-install Windows without undue problem, and just use your original authentication code.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Asus8

Asus8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

So the Dell oem disk is tied to the motherboard so if I try to install windows 7 it will not recognize and will not accept the hp product key code.  I think I have that right, if not please correct me.  And for a installation disk I will need a full installation disk.  What is the difference between a recovery disk and a restore disk.  If there is anything I am missing please tell me.

Thanks for the help

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

I can not boot to windows.  After some research and running the S.M.A.R.T test it said my hard drive is corrupt and needs replaced.

Generally, that's a pretty reliable test. So, it looks as thought you need to buy a new drive, and since you don't apparently have a copy of HP's restore disks, you should order them from HP. Usually, that's about $16.

Edited by slgrieb, 11 July 2013 - 12:24 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 Asus8

Asus8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

the drive was completely corrupt even the recovery partition.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Recovery discs and Restore discs are just two names for the same thing - a set of discs from which you can restore your computer to ex-factory condition. If Sigrieb is correct about the price - $16 - for a set from HP, or even if it is a little more, that is about as cheap a way you will get of rebuilding the hard drive on this computer.

As he points out, you will also need a new hard drive unless you want to use the one you are running XP on now.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Asus8

Asus8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

I recently bought a hard drive got it today and everything worked out.  It was a faulty hard drive.

Thanks all for the help. 

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Recovery discs and Restore discs are just two names for the same thing - a set of discs from which you can restore your computer to ex-factory condition. If Sigrieb is correct about the price - $16 - for a set from HP, or even if it is a little more, that is about as cheap a way you will get of rebuilding the hard drive on this computer.

As he points out, you will also need a new hard drive unless you want to use the one you are running XP on now.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

It's worth noting that HP may make you jump through a hoop or two in order to validate your ownership, (part#, serial#) but they will generally deliver the disc set within 3 to 5 days in the U.S. Generally, $16 is pretty close to the mark even with shipping. Price varies by model, and older system disc sets are likely to be out of stock. Of course, it's even cheaper to use the utility included with the system to create a Recovery Set, but it always amazes me how many people don't bother with that , or backups.

Edited by slgrieb, 12 July 2013 - 10:35 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#11 Asus8

Asus8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

My entire hard drive was corrupt, even my recovery drive.  So after a couple test I concluded that it was bad.  Got my new hard drive in the mail and every thing work great. 

#12 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Excellent!

WIFFLEBALL!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

As a future reference, you can download a legal copy of Windows 7 for free from this website.

You will need to have a valid authentication code to activate the operating system. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users