Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Notebook Card Driver

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jawknee912

jawknee912

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:57 AM

I have a 802.11g Linksys card for my notebook but it wont recognize the device when i plug it in. The program that it comes with is terrible and doesnt work 50% of the time. My friend has the same card but he doesn't need the program to run it. Windows recognizes and runs the card by itsself fine. Why won't mine? Can anyone direct me to a driver or help me fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:09 AM

Do you have SP2 installed?

#3 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:11 AM

yes, but i think that part of windows was replaced by the linksys program and when i deleted the program windows didnt know what to do with the card. doing updates isn't fixing it

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:31 AM

Do you have a Restore Point from the day before your problem started? If "Yes" and you use the Restore Point you will lose anything created or install since that install point was created. This will however return to to before where your drivers were deleted.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

Try the restore point as acklan suggested.

If that doesn't work, or if you don't have a restore point that precedes the date the problem began, delete the card in the device manager, reboot and Windows should find the card and allow you to install it again.

If it doesn't for any reason, use the add new hardware wizard in the control panel to reinstall it.

The Linksis cd probably has the drivers for it.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

I know the member says they have SP installed, but I would like to know what kind of notebook and operating system they have and the amount of Ram? And the friend has the same card for their computer I was wondering if the member has tried this card in the fiend's computer to see if it works? Might be a bad card.

#7 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:29 AM

its an old Compaq M2000 with Windows XP Home SP2. And I dont have a restore point from before the problem started. It only has a 256 stick of DDR333 currently but i have a 512 stick from newegg on the way to up me to 768. I've reinstalled the program from the cd but when i run the program to connect to my network it freezes up and never connects. The laptop also doesnt recognize my friend's 802.11g card. His laptop doesn't need the program from the cd that came with the card to run either card. I'm thinking that my only choice is to buy a different card brand and try that. Do you think it could be a hardware problem in my card slot?

Edited by jawknee912, 19 April 2006 - 03:31 AM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:30 AM

This could be a memory issue, with only 256mb runnung Windows XP. If you can wait till the memory comes in I would go that route.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:19 AM

The CD is most likely just drivers - not a program, and your friend is probably using the generic Windows drivers which is why he didn't need the Linksys ones. (If your computer has all the Windows Updates you may not need it either as the new additional drivers would be in the updates)

Please give us the model number of the Linksys wireless card. There are settings you can change in the computer that will change settings to make the card function better but we need the model number to look it up in Linksys support.

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:58 AM

quote, The laptop also doesn't recognize my friend's 802.11g card.

So as this says it is your laptop that does not recognise his network card. Does hit computer recognise your Linksys card? I am pretty sure that it will. This leaves your computer as the problem. It could be a bad Pcmcia slot since your computer will not recognise he card from the other computer, therefore do not buy another card just yet.

This is a Microsoft article that can possibly fix your problem. Please read the article before applying it.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

Previously he said it worked some of the time - do not interfere with the tcp/ip protocols just yet.

The program that it comes with is terrible and doesnt work 50% of the time

Try reinstalling the card, give us the model number of it so we can look up other settings you can do to make it work better in your computer.

For one thing, SP2 gives you a wireless connection wizard which will find the card and help set it up. Registry hacks or using the NetShell utility (netsh) command-line scripting interface are not necessary just yet.

Linksys has specific instructions based on model numbers of their wireless products too.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 April 2006 - 10:09 AM.

#12 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

The model number of the card is WPC54G Version 3. The linksys driver now recognizes the card but it wont connect to any network at all now. I've tried on four different networks and it wont connect to any. It just says searching for network and freezes up. Both cards work in my friends laptop and niether work in mine. When I delete the linksys program/drivers the card lights turn on but windows doesn't recognize the card. I have all current updates for windows and can't figure out the problem.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

Use the Windows Wireless Network setup and choose the choice of no security settings (to see if it will recognize the card).

Make sure your firewall is not blocking it and that the router (if any) is not blocking it either.

If your computer is running XP try the Linksys "Easy Connect" wizard here:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

There are also downloads which are either firmware or new drivers here:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

Try that too.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 May 2006 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users