Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring to Factory State and Logical Drives Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ScottoD

ScottoD

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hi,

If I use OEM recovery software such as Lenovo One Key Backup & Restore to restore my laptop to factory state will it wipe any logical drives.   Using disk partition software  I shrunk C and created a logical partition drive G where I store my data, C has the OS.   Will my partition G remain after recovering?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Well...the damage may already have been done.

Any system relying on a recovery/backup mechasim...may also rely upon a hidden partition which the system manufacturer created...to effect the restore.  If that partition was deleted or damaged by you when you shrunk your Windows partition...any backup/restore mechanism may not work.  You would have to review the details of the Lenovo system to see.

FWIW:  You could just as easily created a new primary partition on your system.  The major difference between the two types is that you cannot boot Windows from a logical partition...bootable partitions are primary partitions and a hard drive can have up to 4 of those.  I don't mean to imply that all primary partitions are bootable (because they are not), but they have the capability of being made bootable and, therefore, suitable for installing Windows.

When a user creates logical partitions...they are subdivisions of the extended partition which is creazted .  To differentiate the primary from the extedned...diskmgmt will use a different color for the two.  I haven't used logical partitions in years so I may be all wrong about these things.

I believe that...because a logical drive/partition...is part of an Extended Partition (by definition)...that you cannot remove the primary partition without first removing the Extended partition.  The "extended partition"

http://www.ntfs.com/logdrives.htm

To answer your question....an extended partition can exist without a primary partition.  The extended partition can then be broken down into logical drives/partitions.  It's not necessary to have a boot/system partition on that hard drive.

I'd say that you need to take a look in Disk Managment...and see just what the structure of your hard drive looks like.

And...any restore-to-factory-defaults...should be exactly that.  Same hard drive, same partition size, same files as at initial purchase of system.  IMO, using that mechanism will result in deletion of the data storage area you created.

Louis

#3 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

My drives are set up as follows:

C;  System Drive (Primary)

Q:  Is the Lenovo Recovery Drive (Primary) 

G is the partition I set up for my data that is a logical drive

and there is also another primary partition  unlettered that is labeled System_Drv which I assume is used for Windows Recovery/Repair

So I do not think I damaged my recovery by creating the G partition. I created it following shrinking C and thus that is when unallocated space became available

I am ideally thinking that Lenovo "One Key" recovery would not do anything to the partitions but rather look at the current drive setup, format C and copy the recovery image from Q.   My question is basically would the format of C include my logical partition G or leave it be seeing that is assigned another drive letter.

I have room for one more primary partition and wondering if it is necessary to move my data, delete the logical and recreate it as a primary.

Edited by jmsnyc, 09 July 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Sorry...but I've tried to make it clear that I can't tell you anything about how Lenovo (or any other OEM) recovery/restore processes work.  I have owned OEM systems in the past...but I always wiped their installs and installed Windows anew with a System Builder license (I have several I purchased long ago).

Lenove is the expert on their recovery mechanism works...but perhaps other members here have experience in situations analogous to your own.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users