Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protection and limitations on users

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

Hi, just after some instructions on setting up a guest account with limited abilitys.

Main issue is toolbars kept getting installed by others, along with spyware ect.

Would like to create a guest account, and limit it so the users can only browse the web, downloading is ok, but installing software is not.

I have created the guest account, just need advice on how to protect it, Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

Hi -

Please see This Microsoft Topic on setting Parental Controls.
This is one of the better ways to control limited users on your computer.

Also see Set up Parental Controls activity reports so you can check on site usage.
It may be called Parental Control, but it can be used as a Managed Account System -

Regards -

#3 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hi Noknojon, I have looked at Parental controls however I see no ability to stop the user installing toolbars and software. I see you can block downloads however I do not want to block the user downloading from the internet, just not able to install software for when they fall for spyware installers.

I believe you can turn off the windows installer, is there more/other things that can be done on top of that?

Edited by cooldudenz, 10 July 2013 - 02:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users