Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activex And Ie Security Are Killing Me!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 myrland

myrland

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:01 AM

I develop animation rich websites usually involving flash, and ever since the new security features of Internet Explorer came out (I think the same time Microsoft released ActiveX; ironic huh?) I have to figure out a way around it so I can go back and patch my previous sites and safeguard my current projects. I assume there is a simple fix, most probably some quick script in javascript or mor likely VBScript, and I know others have faced this problem. So my question is, how do I fix this? I realize that ActiveX is supposed to be Microsoft's answer to a universal standards collection, but it smells more like domination over competitors (not a universally compatible format) and a forum to create digital terrorism to scare money out of consumers. I could be wrong about this last bit, but it wouldn't suprise me if this was dead on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:19 AM

Not that is it any of my business, but why create sites that can only be viewed in IE? Doesn't that just slightly limit your potential audience? At any rate, the ability to block active content is a security feature. There are quite a few pieces of Adware and Spyware that install themselves by exploiting ActiveX. If there were a simple fix, then it would be pointless to have the ability to block it in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users