Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best "Video memory" setting?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I'm a PC games nut (big complex flight sims and strategy games) and some of them have a bewildering array of customisable video settings including one called "Video memory" which has 5 choices: Low/Normal/High/Very High/Default.
I want to choose the setting that would ease my processors workload the most, so shall I plump for Low or Very High? Or should I just leave it on Default?
PS- What does "video memory" mean anyway?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 07 July 2013 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Short answer - use the setting where you are enjoying the game and not paying attention to your computer; most likely default.

Nuanced answer - These settings can vary widely between games and you can spend almost as much time exploring the settings and changes that they make to game as you can playing the game itself. I personally start with the default and move up a couple notches to see what my computer can handle and if it makes a difference. Video memory can mean a whole bunch of different things - generally it means the amount of memory dedicated to just video display operations. Most commonly this will be for dedicated graphics cards that have their own separate memory (apart from RAM) and are installed in desktop computers (some laptops have dedicated graphics cards but most have integrated graphics which will share/take a portion of the RAM memory for use displaying the graphics a game requires).

Edited by AngryRaisin, 07 July 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thanks, i'll try out some different settings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users