Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No signal on monitor but computer is on (I hear volume)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kathameetha

kathameetha

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

So while I was playing league today, my monitor just freezes and closes. The light stays on (power) and the music stays on in the background. I then had to hard reset and after doing this a few times, I noticed it won't work. Now my PC takes like 3 mins for the motor to start after I start it.

Behind my harddrive, there are 2 ports. The first one is where you plug the VGA in. I used that one before I got my new graphic card.
The second one is where I installed my graphic card, then added this fat grey thingy then connected my VGA cord to it. This is where it was when it crashed. I'm using the first one now and its working but I have no graphic card which means I can't really do anything other than surf the web.
While it is in the port with the graphic card, it enters power save mode right away and it says that no signal detected. Please press button on keyboard. (which dsnt work)

What can I do? Did my graphic card die?

What I mean is that the VGA cord is plugged into the port which uses no graphic card. I am using that but the resolution is huge and I can't do anything.

I opened the case. I replaced the card.
I plugged everything back in.
I left the case open to check fans etc.
The fan spun for a bare 2 mins and then I heard the motor turning on.
It was plugged into the graphic card port and nothing came up so I switched it back.
A piece of the fan also flew off and landed it front of me (wut)

Thanks for the help!
I really need help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

What operating system are you running?

First, let's address terminolgy so that we can all speak the same "lingo":

Behind my harddrive, there are 2 ports

I think you mean, "on the rear of my computer, there are 2 ports"; please correct me if I am wrong.

first one is where you plug the VGA in. I used that one before I got my new graphic card.

That is the integrated video port; "integrated" means this port is directly soldered to the motherboard (mobo) and the video "card" is actually a wired circuit on the mobo.

second one is where I installed my graphic card

That is the video port directly attached to your video card that you are plugging into for gaming.

Did my graphic card die?

Probably.

resolution is huge and I can't do anything

Right-Click once on the desktop screen; a menu should pop up and you can choose screen resolution settings. The menu options and wording may vary depending on your operating system. In Windows 7 there will be a header, "Screen Resolution". You can adjust your setting from there. There is also an optional checkbox to "hide settings that this monitor cannot support" (or words to that effect), enable that to make things easier.

Please supply more details; is this a new card, an old one from somewhere else, and does it have a fan that must plug into the mobo?  Did you install the drivers that came with the card on a CD, and did you follow the installation instructions that the manufacturer supplied with the card?

It was plugged into the graphic card port and nothing came up so I switched it back

"It was plugged into the graphic card port"  ... by "it" do you mean that your monitor was plugged into the new video card's port on the rear of the computer and then you switched it back to the integrated video port?

A piece of the fan also flew off

Which fan? One of the case venting fans, the CPU heatsink fan (extremely important!), or was there a fan on the video card itself (per my 6th question from the top). Before this happened, was there a buzz sound, or did something contact the running fan that you know of?

When you booted (turned on) the computer after installing the new video card, did you hear the system keyboard recognition beep and did it sound like it was booting normally except there was nothing on the monitor? Are you sure the power to the monitor was on and the power cord was plugged in?

Regards....

Edited by ranchhand_, 08 July 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 kathameetha

kathameetha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

What operating system are you running?

First, let's address terminolgy so that we can all speak the same "lingo":

Behind my harddrive, there are 2 ports

I think you mean, "on the rear of my computer, there are 2 ports"; please correct me if I am wrong.

correct

first one is where you plug the VGA in. I used that one before I got my new graphic card.

That is the integrated video port; "integrated" means this port is directly soldered to the motherboard (mobo) and the video "card" is actually a wired circuit on the mobo.

yes

second one is where I installed my graphic card

That is the video port directly attached to your video card that you are plugging into for gaming.

Did my graphic card die?

Probably.

i just got a new one

resolution is huge and I can't do anything

Right-Click once on the desktop screen; a menu should pop up and you can choose screen resolution settings. The menu options and wording may vary depending on your operating system. In Windows 7 there will be a header, "Screen Resolution". You can adjust your setting from there. There is also an optional checkbox to "hide settings that this monitor cannot support" (or words to that effect), enable that to make things easier.

Please supply more details; is this a new card, an old one from somewhere else, and does it have a fan that must plug into the mobo?  Did you install the drivers that came with the card on a CD, and did you follow the installation instructions that the manufacturer supplied with the card?

just reseated the same one

It was plugged into the graphic card port and nothing came up so I switched it back

"It was plugged into the graphic card port"  ... by "it" do you mean that your monitor was plugged into the new video card's port on the rear of the computer and then you switched it back to the integrated video port?

yes 

A piece of the fan also flew off

Which fan? One of the case venting fans, the CPU heatsink fan (extremely important!), or was there a fan on the video card itself (per my 6th question from the top). Before this happened, was there a buzz sound, or did something contact the running fan that you know of?

dunno it just flew out

When you booted (turned on) the computer after installing the new video card, did you hear the system keyboard recognition beep and did it sound like it was booting normally except there was nothing on the monitor? Are you sure the power to the monitor was on and the power cord was plugged in?

Regards....

Ok thanks I answered. ^.^

Now today it is working in the same port. My pc is kind of acting up though. It just randomly shut down too. 

Any idea why its working today? what could the problem be?

http://gyazo.com/12ceade59e52c0b35a55992dcde97406

http://gyazo.com/bb39f489f07398888333378c90bcb5a9

Specs ^

#5 kathameetha

kathameetha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Now as I am surfing the web and watching videos, the monitor randomly turns on and off. >.>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users