Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC upgrade-new case-old cpu, now new Power won't stay on??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 calboyny51

calboyny51

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

I've just upgraded my old PC to a new case and new MB (MSI)--Win XP-w/3....Using my old memory(DDR3-4GB), old CPU and old HD and DVD...No light on MB to see if working or not..Power does not stay on more then a few seconds..I'vd changed the Power Switches around on the MB & no change.

Changed power cord twice..Now running with 350wts power unit..Do I need to upgrade my power source too???  What else can I do to make all this work together???

Any suggestions/comments welcome...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frederickh

Frederickh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

I can't see how either of those things could be affecting the PSU. When you re-installed everything into the new case you may have done something incorrectly possibly? 

Now running with 350wts power unit

Do means you have tried 2 separate PSU's? A 350W and another? 

My knowledge of MB is limited though, so if you asked me I'd say that was the problem.

(Just note I am no professional in PC's, I received help on these forums and feel like returning the favour by trying to help others the best I can) 

Edited by Frederickh, 07 July 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#3 calboyny51

calboyny51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

I'm starting to deeply suspect that it's my power unit...but still playing with it all to see if i can get it to work in the old case instead of the new one....
I'm running 1 cpu with 1 power unit (350wts) but i suspect that may be the problem because i've switched back to the old set up and it still won't run for more then a few seconds....i've grounded the MB, so that's not it....will have to go to "Fry's Monday for a cheap video card and maybe a cheap power box..but have to see what's affordable...fun....
I just love having computer fun!!!!! Almost as much fun as dating???!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users