Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop:c0000218 {registry File Failure}

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 finnegan

finnegan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

When ever i start my laptop (after going through the start up menu, safe mode, regular start up etc.) i am confronted with this message

Stop:c0000218 {registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning Dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance.

I have never had any problem like this before, and it comes up no matter what mode i start my computer in. Any help at all at this point is greatly appreciated, even information on how this problem started, but more on how i can fix it, thank you.

Edited by finnegan, 17 April 2006 - 11:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:14 AM

Welcome to BC finnegan.

Go to the link below, copy and print the information there so that you can use it to start your computer.

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Hope this gets you going.

Edited by dc3, 18 April 2006 - 12:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:02 AM

Before trying the above, you might want to try booting your machine while pressing the F8 key. You should get the option to start with Last Known Good Configuration. Although it's a long shot, it's a whole lot easier and less fraught with problems as rebuilding the hives.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

Hello Folks, This is one thing that in my opinion should not be tried to be fixed here. Actually finnegan has a bum registry. Unfortunately not knowing several things about his system like whether he has Service Pack 2 installed or other things there is not much that can be helped here.

The steps you want to go with this is as follows:

1 - You may have to take your hard drive out and have it put into another computer as a slave drive to get the important data files backed up but none th eless you have to get your data backed up

2 - do one of the following items listed below from this list

Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disc = http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

the above articles are on other sites and are very good but be sure to print them out and follow the insrtucvtions carefully. If yo think they are to complicated please secure assistance from somebody that is more fluent with computers.

This problem you have is with your reistry and can be fixed but only with the person at the computer that knows the registry. I do know registry and how to fix it but the only way I will do that is if I am at the computer in question, unfortunatley I am not there. I do wish you good luck.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

ThorXP - The procedure to create an XP recovery disk is missing a critcal explanation of how to use the boot image file extracted from the original XP install disc. I have Nero 6.6 and can't find any way of transfering the boot image to the new disc. I used to be able to do this in version 6.3, but no longer, apparently.

A very easy and straight-forward way of slipstreaming SP2 into an XP install disc is given by the Microsoft Software Forum Network. This is a 'sticked' thread there that uses the original XP CD, the XP SP2 'network install' file, a free program called nLite, the .NET Framework 2.0 from Microsoft and a burning program that can handle ISO image files. I tried this myself and and found the instructions very easy to follow and perform. Note that all the software components are free if one uses the free burning tool CDBurnerXP Pro.

I think this would make a great FYI sticky for BC which could help many people to update their install discs to SP2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users